My WG 4.7 PowerTech engine rebuild, swap, mod, or not? thread - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post

I'm one of them
Old 21-09-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default M90

Old 21-09-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)
Default 6.4

Old 21-09-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)
Default Paxton Novi 1000

Old 21-09-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)
Default Paxton Novi 2000 HO

Old 22-09-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Question Yayyy. Finally found a work around for hotlinking Google pics

Got a bit more dismantling done this arvo.

I'll share a couple of tips and bits of advice, for the novice spanner turners who reads this thread. I am not a pro by any means. Purely a mechanical gyzmo enthusiast, that enjoys getting in there and seeing how stuff works mainly.

Anyone, including the pro mechanics/service technicians/other enthusiasts, chime in with other tips and advice. Sharing is caring

A: Number 1 rule that I have is take a quantrillion pics of everything as you dismantle. A pic that says a thousand words, of your exact project, has saved my a55 a few times, mainly because some projects end up taking months. Human brain memory sometimes gets overwritten For example: Pic below shows Air Con Pump bottom bracket and bolt position, that I could quite easily forget in 4 months time. It's the little things like this that send you mad during reassembly

and this clearly shows how the poly belt went. You can google it, but it's easier for me to have this pic filed

Little hoses and connectors galore. Reference pics much needed for me

B: Label tag connectors, and fittings as you go with tape and texta.

C: Loosely refit bolts/nuts/washers to the dismantled/separated components themselves if possible. Very handy method to store it all together. If you can't work out why...maybe stick to just watching others

D: Zip-Lock bag and label smaller components that can't be stored loosely as in the above 'C', like nuts/bolts/washers/fittings/brackets. See pic below. Hope Ginger Bread Man doesn't do a runner with the baggies of stuff

E: Keep the work area clean. I've already lost a captive nut for the air box. Rolled under the rig, it's vanished

Ok. Maybe some more tips later, but this is where I am now. Not too far into it yet

Front bar and grill support frame off

Rad top frame, power steer cooler off

See the arrows? They indicate the air con pump and condenser. Everyone who does shit like this comes to a point where you think...'Hmmm...keep it connected and it gets in the way for the whole %$#@en project? Or, just disconnect it all and stump up for a re-gas when finished?' I haven't decided yet

I've never seen this before Ball bearing balance weights in ze fan hub, or what?

Ted whispered something as I was finishing up today. This is the pic of a 'moment'

Possibly a course change in project.

Last time I went to Bunnings for gloves they didn't have a pair big enough for my hands.

You know how much room there is between the exhaust manifolds and the uniframe/steering components/everything else jammed in there? Sweet FA

I'm still hoping to be able to leave the exhaust manifolds on the heads while they come off and out. Removing the heads in situ simply is not physically going to happen with my hands, if I can't leave the manifolds on the heads.

The plan was to take the heads off, inspect heads, repair/replace...whatever.

And inspect the bores and pistons hoping for no damage. Fit heads back in situ. Done.

Well, ahhh ... possibly 'NO'. Can't do it properly, can't do a precise job this way without being able to leave manifolds on.

Maybe the whole engine is coming out now straight off the bat.

Damn. Wishing it was in the hoist bay now aren't I

Sooo..

F: Best have small and strong hands for this caper. Big mitts don't fit %$#@
Old 22-09-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Tyvokka,

You are a tease

I'm not doing an engine swap for sure now. Can't be F'd

Super Charger still possible

Last edited by Hoobz; 23-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply