JK CRD Aftermarket Fuel Filter Install - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennec of Morocco View Post
I have questions, if you want to answer: how did you learn that the original filter was 10 microns (I can not find information on top) and that the injectors had a tolerance of 5 microns (idem at the info level). Since your installation you have no problems, no leaks?
Thank you in advance.
Hi Fennec,

It is fairly typical of most modern diesel stock fuel filters to be 10 micron at best (some other Japanese brands only have 15 microns). But I have spoken with a Jeep diesel mechanic here in Perth (Aztec 4x4) and he told me that all Jeep CRD's have 10 micron.

And again, most common rail diesel injectors are 5 micron. That's why all the aftermarket diesel filters only go down to 5 micron.

Anyhow for the most part, what I did was not done before, running a primary filter (stock) and a secondary filter (aftermarket) with the finest filter being 5 micron on a Jeep CRD, so I was just taking a gamble that it would all work especially as so many other people have done this to other brands of 4wd's as well.

This system has been installed for 40,000kms now and no probs whatsoever.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 24-05-2018
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
Would interested of pics of opened up filter when you get around to changing it if that were possible, just to see any accumulations that got past the stock one
Hey RLT,

Haven't bothered to look myself as you'd need a microscope to see particles between 5-10 micron which is what my secondary filter is filtering.
Old 25-05-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Whats your plan for filter changes and draining? Do you just pull the inner guard, or do you access it from the engine bay?
Old 28-05-2018
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagnkat View Post
Whats your plan for filter changes and draining? Do you just pull the inner guard, or do you access it from the engine bay?
Pull the inner guard. With flat flares I just need to undo 2 10mm bolts and 1 cable tie and the guard is out within 2 mins max.

Then reach in and undo the water trap plug on the bottom of the water trap bowl, let the fuel filter drain, then twist the fuel filter off (these are all hand tight, no tools required at all), transfer the water trap bowl from the old filter to the new filter and install the new filter by twisting it on. Start engine, check for leaks. Reinstall inner fender. Whole job literally takes 10 mins.
Sponsored Posts
Post New Thread  Reply