Jeep Cherokee XJ 97 Crank no start sometimes it sputters - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2020
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

That second video above is only the actuator test to check cluster function. It doesn't show trouble codes.

The method for OBDI and OBDII is the same as shown in the first video. OBDII models will display codes in the odometer.

I'm not sure about XJs, but as far as TJs are concerned, 97 models display 2 digit OBDI codes in the odometer and 01-06 TJs show Pcodes. In TJs the function was not available on 98-00 model years.
Old 08-05-2020

Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Alex, the engine light don't stay on long enough for me to preform these tests
Old 08-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
That should be an easy one.

First, use the key trick... Turn your ignition on and off 3 times. On the third time, leave the ignition on and read the codes on the dash. It might give you a hint to what could be the problem.

You have checked fuel pressure, so i believe you are OK there. I am really suspecting the distributor. It could be as simple as the rotor button and/or cap. I have had rotor buttons eaten up on my XJ.

Also, the Cam position sensor in there could of gone out. Cheap to replace. Mine cut out a few months ago and no start at all!! 5 minute fix once i got the part.

Also, had a coil go out once, so check that.. and the lead from the coil to distributor. So you may need a helper to crank the Jeep while checking for a good spark from coil to distributor, then good sparks from each of the leads out of the distributor.

Good luck,

Cheers,
AlexBrown64 How do I upload a video to show people what my jeep is doing in this thread
Old 08-05-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Hi Lenny,
Good idea with uploading a vid.

Create a video on your phone,
Usually you have to upload a video to YouTube,
Then all you have to do is cut and paste the link onto this thread.

Cheers,

Also, your problem seems like a bit of tough one to crack. Bummer that it wasn't the cam sensor. Anyway, its good to have spare sensors. Its strange how you cant get your system to flash any codes.
Hope the vid can point us in the right direction
Old 08-05-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny6 View Post
Tried that the engine light won't stay on long enough for me to get codes

Len
Maybe you're not doing the key dance correctly Len. The number of times you turn the key on & off seems to vary, mine was built august 96 & you leave the key on after the 5th turn on. The check engine light will go out, wait a couple of seconds then you get the light flashes. Example code 12 is flash short pause flash longer pause then 3 flashes with short pauses between each flash. Code 55 means end of codes which is 5 flashes with short pauses then long pause followed by 5 more flashes with short pauses between.
Old 11-05-2020

Hi all just posted a quick video to Youtube, to show what my jeep is doing when I turn the key. The lights won't stay on long enough, for me to get codes from the computer..

Any suggestions??

Len
Old 11-05-2020
Head Honcho

Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You have you video set to private on youtube, so we cannot watch it mate.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply