Portable Toilet - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-01-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts
Default Portable Toilet - Don't leave home without it

I thought I would create a new thread on this subject for those new to camping... or just travelling and going on long road trips in general.

If you have kids and a missus, or girlfriend, you need a solution like a portable camping toilet and they come in various forms. I won't go into it here in detail. The most simplest one available, and one that I have is the "Thunder Down Under". It is a tall grey bucket with a round toilet seat and lid. It is lined with plastic bags when used as intended. The rest of the time (in transit), I use it to store motor oil, coolant, methylated spirits, matches, fire lighters, cooking oil, liquid soap etc

On many occasions in the bush it has been indispensable. We even used it during a bathroom Reno. The other thing about the bucket is that you don't have to walk any distance to amenities or ablution blocks in the middle of the night when camping.

But on one trip in particular, it helped us to get home on a 15 hour journey. One of my little ones got sick at the beginning of the school holidays. There was a bad stomach bug going around (in school) and it took hold of him from Dubbo onwards. We were bound for South Australia... By Cobar, he was feeling unwell.

Thinking this would clear within 48 hours, he was good to persevere and we pressed on to Broken Hill. Due to the heat and his condition, we stayed in air-con comfort to wait it out but there was no improvement after a couple of days. When the risk of serious dehydration became apparent, it was time to cancel the rest of the trip and return home. We left Broken Hill at 3am which is the Kangaroo run on the Barrier Highway. Bull bars and light bars are compulsory in this stretch of outback road...

The bucket came in very handy in the early hours of the morning before and after Wilcannia. Broken Hill to Cobar is approx a 5 hour drive at 100km/h. We stopped what seemed every hour to use it alfresco style when cramps set in, and it provided a good level of comfort until the next stop. There were virtually no cars or trucks coming in any direction which allowed total privacy between the open front and rear passenger side doors ...overlooking the vast Darling floodplains.

When we got to Emmdale and Cobar, there were amenities, and the rate of amenities increased with each township eastward.

Without the bucket (and serveral sachets of Hydralite), we would never have contemplated a return home due to the distance without toilets. We would much prefer to use the bucket than a stink bomb port-a-loo type lousy excuse for a public toilet hoisted on top of a ramp in the middle of bugger all. State govts of any persuasion continue to ignore travelers west of Cobar.... (more like west of Sydney)... Nothing has changed out here in 20 years, except the Darling River/Menindee Lakes area has gone from full to empty....

By the time we got home... the stomach bug had cleared, thanks to the bucket.

Last edited by eksjay; 01-02-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 29-01-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

A 20ltr plastic bucket with lid, the type they use for bulk chemicals like dairy detergent or for food products is the go. A swimming floatation noodle, the hollow type that has been slit is good for a padded seat, goes on around the top of the bucket. A garbage bag is used as a liner & once used can be sealed & left in the bottom when a new bag is fitted. Disposal can be an issue, best find a skip at the back of shops & carefully put the bags in it.
Old 27-02-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

The Jimmy's Thunderbox is a good solution also.
Old 22-09-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A good 20 liter bucket is going to be okay for you. Also if you're doing your thing beside a river, it's a plus!
Post New Thread  Reply