Jeep 2.7crd not starting - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-12-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Jeep 2.7crd not starting

Hi guys ive recently purchased a 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo 2.7 crd got it for cheap as it was in limp mode due to gearbox conductor plate fixed the conductor plate and reset the codes happy days
One morning it started and died so ive read about air leaks so changed the plastic lines and o rings all new the diesel filter aswell next morning theres an diesel leak at the high pressure pump order the kit did the pump happy days again
Drove about 800km filled the tank up and its leaking drove home no issues just the leak pulled the tank out years of crap cleaned off and found the big nut was loose that kept the float inside ..next step is to get air out after tank removal ..primed the system thru with a facet electric pump before the filter ..hard to start drove it a while so it can prime and bleed
Next trip was about 500km to do and started the jeep again difficult to start drove off no hassles no error codes got back and started looking for the trouble of hard starting found the glow plugs not working tested the fuses one is blown replaced it tested relays 4 of the 5 was dead as a door knob ..broken off while attemting to remove while cold not good ..took head of and removed broken bits found small cracks in between valves had the head checked out no leaks got the head welded and machined all valves done put the head back on new gaskets and bolts
Try to start but its not starting tried quick start spray started first time let it idle a while checked for leaks everything is good drove it a few kms came home switch it off let it sit for 30min checked coolant and oil level all is good ..tried to start nothing just cranking ..got the quick start spray and started right away went to drive it nothing suspicious when in 3rd gear gave it some gas floored it it just cut out engine light on pulled the obdii scanner checked it out it shows small leakage detected ..got home removed the injectors send it to bosch to test all of them are wasted? Bought a set new ones installed with new seals and bolts try to start nothing just cranking sprayed quick start it fires up first time
Took it for a drive floored it uphil and same thing again engine light on error code back on says leakage detected ..swopped the feul rail pressure solenoid with new one still the same hard to start and when driving it cuts out when floored uphill
Anything ive missed with this lady
Most of what gives problems on them i have changed and fitted new?
Any help advice?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Old 26-12-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Symptoms point to injectors leaking back and not letting rail pressure build at start.
New injectors so I would be looking at pump again.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
Old 26-12-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Frankly, you've replaced just about all there is to replace! I went down a similar road with the transfer case sensor only to find the new sensor was faulty. I'd suggest that you start again with the basics and don't assume that because a part is new it is okay:

1/ Do a leak back test on the injectors.
2/ Start monitoring fuel rail actual pressure Vs set point.

You mentioned checking for codes via OBD. What tool/software? Most generic tools (including Torque app) will miss error codes on the 2.7 CRD. It's not true OBD. You need a DRB-III tool or the software from jeepswj.com.
Old 26-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Im using the software from kaido to check codes and this code is the only one coming up ..what bothers me is that with new injectors its doing the same thing as with the old ones ..how do one go about checking rail pressure?

Old 26-12-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Your second screen shot has it. That pressure is way too low. It should be well over 200 bar at idle.
Old 26-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So i should test injectors and pump the pump has about 1000km since rebuild

Old 26-12-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Low pressure can be either a leaking injector, the HP pump, the regulation valve or the sensor.

I'd start with an injector leak test. It's an easy test.
Post New Thread  Reply