JK - Roof Rack - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Seven Slot Offroad 7 Slot
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-01-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wish I did Only my builds tend to be the dodgiest builds around.
I can provide plenty of sketches (mad man style) but I can PM you everything used if your keen ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldog View Post
I don't suppose by chance you wrote down the measurements for the cutting list ? $

4865GANG
Old 22-01-2012
Established Member

Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG811 View Post
Wish I did Only my builds tend to be the dodgiest builds around.
I can provide plenty of sketches (mad man style) but I can PM you everything used if your keen ??
Hey that'd be great, I love the look of this thing, cant wait to see it finished.
Old 23-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 213 Times in 106 Posts

That looks impressively great. One thing... do you think that u should slightly oversize the holes in the roof because there will be a fair bit of flex with the hard top and I wonder, if the holes are tight, whether you may find the roof cracking around the holes. Grommet them or silicone them for water and dust proofing. Just a thought.. A plus 4 welding. Did u do the welding?? I was wondering because you have really clean fingernails...
Old 23-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
That looks impressively great. One thing... do you think that u should slightly oversize the holes in the roof because there will be a fair bit of flex with the hard top and I wonder, if the holes are tight, whether you may find the roof cracking around the holes. Grommet them or silicone them for water and dust proofing. Just a thought.. A plus 4 welding. Did u do the welding?? I was wondering because you have really clean fingernails...
This is the exact post from this projects thread on another forum,

"So I'll drop all the brackets into the powder coater tomorrow and hopefully they'll be ready for pick up end of the week.
I still want to run a 10mm bit through the roof as it was a 9.5 that I used and the extra .5 should give me just that bit more clearance when it comes to tightening everything down ... "

In saying that it will be 8mm bolts through the whole thing and 1mm rubber pads between the brackets and the roof. As for tightening it down it will be guess work.
I was thinking silicone on the head of the bolts but I may look at some sort of washer ??
I had thought of shims/washers that would allow the brackets not to sandwich the roof, but thought that would not allow good enough water protection ....
We'll see how we go ....

4865GANG
Sponsored Posts
Old 23-01-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mate looks good! As soon as the rain goes ill get pics of my set up, up for everyone to look at! Mines similar to your set up, but on a 2dr. I've also got an awning on the side of my roof rack cage! Works great, best thing ive built yet!
Old 23-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damxr View Post
Mate looks good! As soon as the rain goes ill get pics of my set up, up for everyone to look at! Mines similar to your set up, but on a 2dr. I've also got an awning on the side of my roof rack cage! Works great, best thing ive built yet!
Sweet - Would be great to see !!

4865GANG
Sponsored Posts
Old 24-01-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey mate, here's my roof rack. I welded my internal brackets straight to the roll bar and bolted the roof rack rails straight through the fibreglass. Sealed it with black sikaflex. My hard top is glued on, so using sika didnt bother me!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here's how i bolted me awning to the side on my roof rack cage!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here's a couple pics of my roof rack cage!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 24-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice Damxr !!!

Do you have any action shots !!
Loaded up, hitting the dirt !!

I was going to hard mount mine and at the last minute went with making the rack "bolt on" the external brackets.
I dropped the internal and external mounting brackets off to be powder coated on Monday, so they just might be ready for pick up on Friday - Fingers crossed.

4865GANG
Old 24-01-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah no action shots yet, only been on there a week! Hoping to some good pics over the next wks! Headn up north, just hope the rain goes!
Yeah my cage can be removed, its only bolted to the cross rails. They're hard mounted! Yeah all up mine took bout 4 days to build, and that was a day n a half at the powder coaters!! Look forward to seeing yours finished!
Post New Thread  Reply