So this grille I had already added two extra grille slots too making it 130mm/5" wider than stock. But the firewall is 230mm/9" wider so adding the rest between the headlights and the grille.
Tacked on the 50mm/2" wider strip for a look, but looks rather 'tacked' on rather than a factory look and a bit unbalanced between the headlight and the grille.
Then I thought maybe adding a bead the same width as the ones in the doors might help. It will end up in the middle between the edge of the headlight trim and the side of the grille.
The ends of the beads were quite distorted so the rusty bit of 3/4" water pipe fixed it. Lined up the ends of the pipe up with the mark where I stopped the beads and gave it a good hard whack while it was clamped down to the bench.
Think that works for me at least.
Planished the weld out to stretch the shrinkage from the weld over one of my home made stakes.
This time I removed the weld through coating this strip of steel had before wheeling it and then running the bead. Looks polished!
Just using a tiny bit of 0.9mm/.035 mig wire while fuse welding so the weld will disappear afterwards without thinning the metal. Very little to grind and even less after the first planishing straight after welding and before grinding.
Back together again 230mm/9" wider than stock.
First time I have seen the grille bolted to the guards in 10 years!
Bit of an idea what it will look like once the bonnet is made for it.
I did wonder what it would look like tilted back like the JK's have, but not a fan of the look on this.