At what age id you start considering the consequences of your actions? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Question Polls

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: At what age did you REALLY start considering the consequences of your actions?
I am an extraordinary youth who already considers the consequences! 7 25.93%
21 5 18.52%
25 4 14.81%
30 4 14.81%
40 1 3.70%
50 0 0%
There are consequences? 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2013
---8< CUT HERE >8---

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Default At what age id you start considering the consequences of your actions?

I was just reading Muddy's post on idiots shining a hand held spotty onto a rescue helicopter that was trying to land at night and it prompted me to wonder whether it was naive kids or foolish adults.

Recently, when I pulled the mags and 35 inch tyres off the JK I had just bought, to replace them with stock wheels tyres and make my Jeep compliant for insurance purposes (and drive a shitload better), a lot of younger guys here couldn't understand why I would do that.

I explained the them that the mags increased by wheel track by 10cm, making my vehicle illegal in the state of NSW and therefore voiding my insurance.

I loved the look of the Jeep when I bought it ... but as I came to realise what a mess I could be in if I had an accident and destroyed someone else's car or injured them, I would not be uninsured ... I opted to put the stock wheels on until I can find another option.

I guess I am getting old and thinking about consequences.

So I want to know ... how old were you when you truly started considering the consequences of your actions (if you do)? :)

Last edited by BrianW; 12-01-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

30 thats when I got married and realised life is no longer a party.

Regards A
Old 12-01-2013
---8< CUT HERE >8---

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I think I started to get serious about my business at 30 ... it was like a light went on (appropriate, considering my line of business).

I think I only really started thinking about consequences around 40
Old 12-01-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,107 Times in 4,038 Posts

They teach what consequences are in schools in about year 7 or 8 & students are capable of understanding the concept. The first time some one gets a dose of consequences is once they start driving or for a girl if she gets pregnant.
You can figure the ages. While parents molly coddle their kids they do not fully understand consequences as mom or dad bails them out.
Old 12-01-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

You can't coose to get older.
You can choose to grow up.

I bear a lot of responsibility at my business.
I choose to be often irresponsible outside of that environment.
Life is too short, I have lost good mates to cancer and accidents that died before their time and elected to live within too many oppressive rules and social constraints.

I would draw the line well before stupid actions that endangered others lives, or were just plain dumb, such as the op.

However, running 37's on my Tj, which are technically illegal here ( but are not in the US) why the hell not.

It performs way better Offroad, and yeah, I like the look of it ..... Sometimes ya just gotta say bugger the rules and the fun nazi's.
Old 13-01-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

My first girlfriend, when I was 17, was splattered (there was no better term to express what happened) by a drunk driver while she was walking along a footpath with friends. I was about 20 metres behind them having just bought some beer from a bottleshop, running to catch up with them. It isn't an image I will ever forget.

That was a very healthy dose of reality right there. Ever since I have been incredibly careful around cars and roads, and even more so now I've got kids. Probably to the point of being judgemental about others doing stupid things. It's a failing, I realise, and pointless because there is bugger all I can do about other people's behaviour, but to me at least a justified one. But yes, don't drink a lot because of it, and when I do, I don't go near my car, no matter how little I've had.
Sponsored Posts
Old 13-01-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

I've always thought about possible consequences before doing something and because of that, I am proud to say my lips have never touched a cigarette and I have never tried drugs. I can count on one hand how many times I've been "drunk" as opposed to tipsy/in that good, happy place where youre still in control of what youre doing and saying and in the last 3 years I've had less than 10 standard drinks.
I'm not against alcohol, but all of my school friends do not know their limit and I got sick of them vomiting and crying lol. I've had countless great nights sober so I've never seen the need to waste money on alcohol.
I've only just started to have a few drinks around the campfire when I'm entering comps and have always been concious about how the drinks will affect my attention/ability the next morning.
If I go out for dinner and I'm driving I won't even have one drink. Eventhough I'd be under the legal limit, I just don't see the point. To me, alcohol is an expensive drink, full of carbs and sugar. I'd rather have water. Lol
All my friends tried (and some are still trying) all different types of drugs and spend every weekend drunk and hungover and I used to have the occasional thought, wondering what I was missing out on. Then I'd remember I have a kickarse Jeep that I've worked hard for. Some of my friends may enjoy their night, but they wake up with nothing to show for it but a hangover and some disgraceful pictures. I wake up every morning and see the money I could have spent on booze, parked in my driveway. :)

But, in saying all of that, my Jeep is on 35s and I know if I was in a crash and at fault I wouldn't be covered, but my Jeep is not a race car. I bought a Barina to do the most of my driving and when i drive my Jeep i just make sure i am 100% alert, not distracted, and take my time
Old 13-01-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default What a great question

I have to admit that when i first saw the post I thought to myself, 'to hell with any consequences in life'. Then i actually realized i am always checking the risk with most of my actions and working out what risks i can mitigate or remove and which ones I will have to live with. If the residual risk is to high i wont do what I was planning to do. So I guess this means I have been doing this for awhile.

I agree with the 'life is short' argument, but I also refuse to throw my life away in a stupid way. I never drink and drive, I dont do drugs and my greatest fear on the road is the drunk or sleep deprived motorist coming the other way who may swerve into me.

What does this mean for my Jeep. Well its more of a tourer then a weekend warrior and all the modifications keep it inside the law. Not because i have to but because I want to mitigate the risk.
P - pocket

Why does my jeep want to bankrupt me?
Old 16-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
My first girlfriend, when I was 17, was splattered (there was no better term to express what happened) by a drunk driver while she was walking along a footpath with friends. I was about 20 metres behind them having just bought some beer from a bottleshop, running to catch up with them. It isn't an image I will ever forget.

That was a very healthy dose of reality right there. Ever since I have been incredibly careful around cars and roads, and even more so now I've got kids. Probably to the point of being judgemental about others doing stupid things. It's a failing, I realise, and pointless because there is bugger all I can do about other people's behaviour, but to me at least a justified one. But yes, don't drink a lot because of it, and when I do, I don't go near my car, no matter how little I've had.
that's scary! and man must have been horrid... glad that is has made the change and impact for your life however it means you can pass along to your friends / family around you to never drink / drive / drink walk distances...

for me i think it was around 21/22 as that's when o popped the question to my girlfriend.. got married..

bought 2 cars, bought a house, and now have a 8.5 month old daughter.... married for two years am 25 this year and am VERY aware of what conciquences my dumb choices have so choose to make smart choices first!!!

Si!!!
Post New Thread  Reply