multiple problems, need advice - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar madness View Post
turn the key on and off 3 times in a row,make sure you see the speedo reading then off do it quickly 3 times and you car will show the fault codes for your car and will give you a clue on whats wrong with the car.
Already done, they should clear with a new CPS
Old 08-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

opps dont know how i missed that.
Old 08-02-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Rich

I hope the advise re cps helps, if i could just add before you go putting too much dirt on JEEP just remember 3 x things

(1) Your engine is not a Jeep - its a Merc motor

(2) Your previous owner may have not kept any servicing / maintenance up

(3) Lots of mechanics shouldn't be let near Jeeps, a lot of us on here do our own maintenance or find a mechanic who realy does know them.

Also lots of happy deisel owners on here
Old 08-02-2013
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27rich View Post
thanks for that

also I have a humming sound coming from the wastegate solenoid after shut down for a minute or two. is this normal
Yes normal. Mine does it too. Something to do with the vacuum system. Maybe it bleeds off after shutdown. Never looked into it further. I'll check all those codes for you tonight. Not necessarily the same codes as the petrol.
Old 08-02-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Don't panic mate, they all seem like small issues that were neglected by the previous owner. Jeeps are really good. There are some really nice WJ/WG CRD owners on here that will help you out get it sorted.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 08-02-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KL
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No need to sell it. The o-rings in the fuel pump is not as daunting as it seems as long as you take your time and get everything nice and clean before you start. I did mine last year as I noticed the same symptoms as you're experiencing (I'm not a mechanic - but like to give things a try too).

The smoke out the back sounds normal (noticable at night, not really in the day unless you really boot it) and the humming sound is a vacuum solenoid for the turbo bleeding off after shutdown. quite strange but completely normal.

Shame about the oil cooler. Just one of those things I guess, mine hasn't gone yet (yet) but I may preventatively change it soon when I do the thermostat.

Make sure your battery is good too. The fast acting glow plugs draw heaps of current initially and with all the electronics sensitive to low voltage, lots of small codes can be triggered by a failing battery. (especially P0700's)

Search around the pages on the forum and welcome.
Old 08-02-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, so thanks for all the replies,
I know about letting the glow plugs warm before cranking so am doing that every time, but has anyone noticed that after the car is warm the glow plug symbol does not come on every time.

thanks dustbowl looks like ill be replacing the crank angle sensor soon.

regarding the codes I also get the p0620 light but I know that days before I bought the car the battery was replaced due to being faulty, so I take it this could have set it off but would have replacing the battery have cleared the fault.

im not here wanting to bag the jeep as I have wanted one for years just didn't work out, when I was looking I was told to find a low km one with a full service history which is what this car was suppose to be 150,000 kms and full service history just disappointing that it broke (in 20 hrs) and multiple problems so soon. but yes this is cars and mechanics.

good to know that I don't have to replace the wastegate solenoid as well

so by the sounds of all the posts and codes it has thrown the old battery could have sent the p0700 and p0620, and the crank angle sensor could have thrown the rest of the codes, p0340, p0403, p0460

so the replaced battery and replacing the crank angle sensor should fix all the codes and o rings should fix the hunting. I HOPE. anyone know where I can get a cheap crank angle sensor and the o rings

thanks

Last edited by 27rich; 08-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply