XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-06-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

Gear sellection problem could be :Clutch , clutch fluid low level, clutch hydraulic cylinder, low or wrong gearbox oil and another thing that i come across is the gear sellector lever .
Gear selector lever has a small plastic bit at end that goes in to the gearbox and that had small bits broken of it causing same symptoms as yours . The broken bits sometimes where jamming the lever travel .
Fairly easy to check that one : remove center console , undo a few bolts holding the lever assembly and gently pull it up and remove it from gearbox . It is a square shaped plastic thing in which the ball shaped end of lever pop in to . Again this are only sugestions that I think would help . If nothing else than it is a gearbox off job and check everything starting with crankshaft end play, clutch and so on ...
If you download the manual it would help and also Youtube in some cases .
Old 17-06-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Arrow

Layback40 - Understand - I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, this is my first Diesel ever. But as far as I read, not a lot of shops are familiar with the XJ 2.5 VM Motori. How would you suggest I find one north of Brissie? Same goes for the manual transmission - my second car with one, last was in 1999.
Also, I get your point re catalyst converter, but the factory manual describes one for the 2.5, unless it's possibly in the context of a petrol.

Amlav - thank you - also understand. I did read about the plastic bit, I'll check that out - would it happen only when hot?
I do have the fsm and a separate pdf dedicated to the ax-15.
I tried to look for the clutch fluid reservoir and I can't find one.

While I respect your knowledge gentlemen and your helpful suggestions, and while this is indeed a manual and a diesel which I'm not familiar with, I'm not totally incompetent when it comes to mechanical work.
I do everything on my ZJ myself, I've done two head gaskets, replaced power steering pump, managed to fix enough to limp it to the nearest sealed road twice, once on Teewah and once at Poepples corner... Nobody helped me, and the head in the ZJ is solid iron

R
Old 17-06-2018

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ok found the clutch reservoir, was full to the point it leaked when opened (had to use a plumber's pliers)
Liquid looks clean and transparent...
I couldn't see the reservoir initially as it blends with the firewall and other parts, being black...
R
Old 17-06-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

6 posts in nearly 11 years boy you are quiet
welcome hope to hear more from you
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 17-06-2018

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey LuluBelle
I did the same looked up when forum said I joined and went , n waaaaaaat?

Good point. might mean one or both things
either this forum is awesome ( which it is!) meaning you get answers to pretty much ANYTHING if you know to search
And/or
The creepers are so reliable that one might just not need to ask...which the are.
So believe you ne, wasn't easy to post but humble pie half eaten, don't have no place to ask or take no more...
Not happy, not proud, it is what it is.
I'm fluent with my 4.0 auto ZJ with 240k, done Simpson twice, done Walker's crossing twice, went to Perth and back via my dare Uluru and great central, than back through Nullarbor and Moree.
Wouldn't have easily asked mates if I wasn't to the ends of my whits with this particular xj.
I got a good trusted tranny guy, I'll call him tomorrow, this takes priority over lack of cojones uphill..
R
Old 18-06-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

QLD has more XJ Diesels than any other state in Australia so there is a better chance of finding a good mechanic there. I would never take either of mine to a Jeep dealer. VM made their name in marine engines & then industrial applications. The Xj engine was an industrial engine supplied to jeep. you may wish to talk to mechanics that do work on diesel boats. Once you understand the engine its not so complicated. Your knowledge about the petrol jeep is probable a hindrance. The manual trans is used in other applications, IIRC some jap stuff. its a very simple 5 speed manual box. Interestingly its a 1990's style box. As yours is not making noises, chances are your problems are only minor. If I dont push the clutch peddle down far enough either of mine wont go into some gears. it is also possible that your master/slave is on the way out & when warm is not putting enough pressure on the clutch. Been there done that! If you pumped the peddle up & down did it go into gear?

If there were aftermarket iron heads for the VM, i would have fitted them years ago. The heads are the weakness.

When some one with experience with these posts something, best not dispute it. I have 2 of them & over 300,000km driving/maintaining them. i think I would know if they had a cat. My manual has no mention of a cat in the diesel section. The 2 most knowledgeable members, Mudmonster & Dieselweasle dont post any more & may have left AJOR. While a few petrol XJ owners may offer help. They have very little knowledge of the engine & gearbox & seldom can offer much other than moral support. Many owners manuals & parts books have mistakes & are meant for the 2.5 petrol. Info from the USA is unreliable as it was never sold there. Never listen to the people at supercrap. Their parts info is nearly always wrong. They even tried to tell me there was a non turbo 2.5 XJ diesel. Triton info is also normally wrong. Much of the Crown (USA) is wrong & meant for the petrol 2.5.
Most parts I get from Europe. The engine was used in many other cars including Alfa, Rover & Ford there as well as things like street sweepers & other industrial things. There is a Facebook group for the VM engine based in Europe, the members are very helpful but you will probably find them to be old school die hard diesel people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croitoru View Post
Layback40 - Understand - I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, this is my first Diesel ever. But as far as I read, not a lot of shops are familiar with the XJ 2.5 VM Motori. How would you suggest I find one north of Brissie? Same goes for the manual transmission - my second car with one, last was in 1999.
Also, I get your point re catalyst converter, but the factory manual describes one for the 2.5, unless it's possibly in the context of a petrol.

I do have the fsm and a separate pdf dedicated to the ax-15.
I tried to look for the clutch fluid reservoir and I can't find one.

While I respect your knowledge gentlemen and your helpful suggestions, and while this is indeed a manual and a diesel which I'm not familiar with, I'm not totally incompetent when it comes to mechanical work.
I do everything on my ZJ myself, I've done two head gaskets, replaced power steering pump, managed to fix enough to limp it to the nearest sealed road twice, once on Teewah and once at Poepples corner... Nobody helped me, and the head in the ZJ is solid iron

R
Old 18-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Dieselweasle dont post any more & may have left AJOR.
somewhere I read (a somewhat oddly worded) post from Dieselweasel,

saying (words to the effect) he would not be answering questions on here anymore
Post New Thread  Reply