Death Wobble – your experiences please - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2009
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo07 View Post

On a side note, it may be that your GC has been in a accident prev and the chassis is out by a few mm's and causing some sort of wired geormetry.
I wonder?? I now remember one of the mechanics at the workshop saying he thinks that the axle could be sightly bent. Maybe it is and is contributing???
Old 24-04-2009
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im in the same boat as you Pmac. DW and the same feeling of DW that doesnt eventuate. Anything over 90-100 kph will guarantee DW. Slowing to 70-80kph cures the DW but in traffic this is an issue so I usually pull over and stop.

I have Teraflex upper and lower control arms and similar castor. Thinking about replacing the tie rod ends next.

When the lift was first installed no adjustable trackbar was available and stock CA were still on. It took nearly 12 months for the first DW to arrive though I had been expecting it for some time. Adjustable trackbar, new CAs and front end alignment didnt really change much after being installed

A strange thing happened recently that has got me thinking, though I dont know yet have an answer. I was driving my jeep (empty) on a rough road and got DW three times plus a few other twitches that felt like it was going to go full DW. The Jeep was being used to transport 4 bridesmaids for a friend. When travelling the same road again fully loaded, 5 people, full fuel tank, and car fridge there was none of the same feeling of iminent DW or outright DW.
Was the extra weight levelling out the steering geometry (track bar and steering arm) or was the weight restricting movement through the bushes on the tie rod ends. I am only saying tie rod ends because the CAs and the track bar have new bushes.

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 24-04-2009
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjeeper View Post
Im in the same boat as you Pmac. DW and the same feeling of DW that doesnt eventuate. Anything over 90-100 kph will guarantee DW. Slowing to 70-80kph cures the DW but in traffic this is an issue so I usually pull over and stop.
Wow - you are scaring me. I've only ever had it at about 70km/h. Don't think I'd want it at 100. I do 110km/h every day on the way to work. Mine only goes away when I get down to about 15km/h. I've also heard that if you speed up it will go away, but I don't want to try that one.

One thing we have similar - we both have IRO springs. Could that be the cause?? Let's see if anyone else gets it with different lift kits.

I know what you mean about weight on the front. Mine feels like I've got no weight on the front (may also contribute to the twitchiness?). But I've got nothing in the back of any consequence so the front isn't lifted up at all.
Old 24-04-2009
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah its not very plesant, but if you are expecting it the DW isnt like it is completely out of control. I am able to steer and slow down in a controlled manner.

I havent had my Jeep at 110kph for quite some time now, not game to. I got a commodore VZ SV6 for that

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 24-04-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Geez you guys are loyal to the bloody things, if mine death wobbled at all, let alone at 100+ kmh....it would be history in short order. I simply could not live with a vehicle that at the very least can't sit on the legal speed limit safely, no matter how much lift or off road performance it offered.
Old 24-04-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I use to get DW between 70 and 80kph and the front was harsh and felt every bump,i tried all the same things as every one else did and it still would not go away,until about 3weeks ago i made some brackets for the front lower control arms that lowered the body mount by 30mm ,by lowering the mount this changed the angle of the CA whitch made the ride a lot smoother and no DW
Old 25-04-2009
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Had Death Wobble: In this current build up, no
Lifted: Y

If lifted, how many inches:6.5"
Brand:RockKrawler X Factor LA with RE rodends
Additional mods to front end (LCA’s, steering stabilisers etc):IRO Adjustable Track bar, IRO QDs, Tough Dog 9 Way adjustable SS,33" muddies,double cardan front DS.
Castor angle (if known):I've got that on a computer printout somewhere...gotta' dig it out.
Toe in angle (if known):See above
What do you think fixed the DW:IRO Track Bar and the Tough Dog SS works wonders
Are you happy with this lift kit off road?Yep
Are you happy with this lift kit on road?Yep
Post New Thread  Reply