WK2 Roof Loading - Page 17 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
I’m pretty sure it’s going to basically be the same as the “off road animal” system, so the weight along the pinch weld.... Didn’t those guys work for Chief at one point?
It will be a bit more fancy and look the part though!
I believe they worked for Uneek.

Taking a while to release it - the same roof structure has been around for so long, by 2021, the structure is likely to change.
Old 07-02-2020
AJOR Silver

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Any one know if a Rhino Rack pioneer tray can be mounted to the Chief rails in the final design?
Old 08-02-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
Any one know if a Rhino Rack pioneer tray can be mounted to the Chief rails in the final design?
Nobody knows yet...
I’ve just ordered the rails in the hope my existing tray will fit but if not Chief have most of the parts available to buy separately afterwards.

Unfortunately the first delivery, which mine is part of, has just been delayed yet again till March! Initially Chief said these racks would be available at the start of 2019, not mid 2020....

Will post some pics when it all arrives.
Old 08-02-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
Nobody knows yet...
I’ve just ordered the rails in the hope my existing tray will fit but if not Chief have most of the parts available to buy separately afterwards.

Unfortunately the first delivery, which mine is part of, has just been delayed yet again till March! Initially Chief said these racks would be available at the start of 2019, not mid 2020....

Will post some pics when it all arrives.
sorry hoppy can't do anything but laugh . Chief have a history of delays after delays . and when they do ship their QA is pathetic, i would make sure they send you a left and right rail and not two rights or two lefts. I used to love chief gear but they seem more focused on stupid media updates on some beach in qld apparently doing "final testing" . meanwhile dave at offroad is actually getting product out there .

I just can't fathom how long it takes from development to shipping with this company. Especially after they sourced "Chieftans" to fund their expansion .
Old 08-02-2020
AJOR Silver

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Oh dear, what a shame good products are let down by these issues. It's a sexy looking rack and be great if I could use my Rhino Tray I have as they are not cheap. Will keep an eye on these posts. Offroad Animal have a solution if this falls through, just don't want to use the Rhino Rack legs.
Old 09-02-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
Oh dear, what a shame good products are let down by these issues. It's a sexy looking rack and be great if I could use my Rhino Tray I have as they are not cheap. Will keep an eye on these posts. Offroad Animal have a solution if this falls through, just don't want to use the Rhino Rack legs.
my mate got the OA rack and IMO it's a marked improvement on the Uneek version. Same strong mounting system but a much better rack . If i needed a roof rack anymore i would just get the OA rack rather than wait for the chief rack to come to market.
Old 15-03-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

So my Chief Products roof rails finally arrived on the slow boat from China.

I installed them this weekend but came to a grinding halt on the first step when I realised I couldn’t find all the original OEM bolts from the OEM roof rails which are required for the Chief roof rails. I removed them when I installed some rhino roof bars two years ago.

Luckily I found them after turning the garage upside down, it’s nice and tidy now! Anyway, I pressed on with all the nuts and bolts.... there are a few of them and it gets tedious trying to tighten them all so patience is required.

One problem I discovered is that the rear peg that the rails attach to is supposed to sit neatly underneath and a spacer is only required here if you have the low slimline OEM roof rails, like on an SRT or Blackhawk. Mine is the MY17 Trailhawk with the raised plastic/metal rails but I needed a spacer.... because I didn’t order it I used some thick rubber grommets I found in the garage..

Unfortunately the bolts are not black which would look better and I might try change them at a later date if I can source some and be bothered.

Now to try and fix my rola titan rack platform to it but my initial investigations show I might need to buy two of the Chief planks to achieve this.

Last edited by Hoppy99; 15-03-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply