What did you do to your WK Grand today? - Page 152 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-01-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks mate.

Thats definitely plan no. 1.

I'll be taking care of it myself, that way I 100% know what fluids and parts have been used and when.

I don't have huge plans for it, but they do consist of the following;

3D MaxTrac Floor Mats
Dash Mat
AirLinks (Lowering Links)
Pioneer Backbone roof rack
Bonnet Protector and weathershields

I'm sure the list will grow but I've got plenty of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Welcome to the bestest Jeep Forum around and you will love your Jeep, first thing you should do is find a decent mechanic and change all the fluids and filters then visit a Tranny shop and get the tranny done, starting off with a clean slate will mean you know its been serviced, a stamp in a book means bugga all and can throw drama further down the track as many have found out later, its not a jeep thing either , my advice for all brands...............
Old 30-01-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 844 Times in 472 Posts
Default 2012 WK2 oil change.

Well after putting around 6000 ks on the roads in NZ thought I would shout the 2012 WK2 Overland diesel an oil change ! Had to get a workshop to do it.asked the boss done one of these diesels .Yes mate! I took my own 9 litres Penrite Enviro 5w40 in plus a note saying I want 8.4 litres put in,must deactivate Quadra lift and how to do it,,plus best place to put front hoist arms . Well ,they put 9 litres oil went in only 600 mill over,so not real worried. Sump bung is now leaking,they said they could not find a front lift point,Oil cap put on the wrong way,spilt oil all over the engine!Geez some of these guys are useless .Admitted they never done an oil change on a WK2 before and gave it to the apprentice to do!
Old 30-01-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,147 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Well after putting around 6000 ks on the roads in NZ thought I would shout the 2012 WK2 Overland diesel an oil change ! Had to get a workshop to do it.asked the boss done one of these diesels .Yes mate! I took my own 9 litres Penrite Enviro 5w40 in plus a note saying I want 8.4 litres put in,must deactivate Quadra lift and how to do it,,plus best place to put front hoist arms . Well ,they put 9 litres oil went in only 600 mill over,so not real worried. Sump bung is now leaking,they said they could not find a front lift point,Oil cap put on the wrong way,spilt oil all over the engine!Geez some of these guys are useless .Admitted they never done an oil change on a WK2 before and gave it to the apprentice to do!

Fair dinkum, it isn't that hard to do an oil change surely...what is the difference between doing an oil change on a Jeep as opposed to a Toyota, or Nissan, or Mitsubishi...seriously...
I bet the bozo tried to screw the new oil filter cartridge back in to the housing before it had drained as well...wouldn't be going back there in a hurry!
Old 30-01-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post

Geezus....can genuinely speak from experience....mate...'attempt' to drain some out....I put 'around' that amount in mine...bit me on the arse....REAL HARD....Oiled up EVERYTHING from the Engine Breather back....created an Exhaust Sevice Required error on the dash (it took 6.5k of travelling including towing a 3t van for 6k to appear) but...it HAD to have a forced regen on the DPF performed because of all the oil that came out tge breather into the intake manifold....would truely hate to see what the inside of the intercooler looks like....the 'Elephants Trunk' junction with air 8ntake and engine breather attached was 5-10mm deep in oil...no catch can on mine at that time.
I 'thought' a li'l extra when starting off on a planned 6k return van trip wouldnt hurt....VERY wrong....heads up....drain some ASAP.
My intake was NEVER 'wet' prior me overfilling it....I have pulled everything off (accept the intercooler) and cleaned it up.....have since rechecked and its dry again (also has a catch can fitted now).....this is all recent stuff (van trip was in Sept)....shit started going 'pear shaped' after the trip and forced regen performed around a month ago. A call to All Grand Cherokee confirmed my thoughts that my 'stuff up'(overfill) had created the problem.....regen done, catch can fitted, oil n filters changed....all good....I HOPE !

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 31-01-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,329 Posts

Funny enough I thought the changing of the oil on the Jeep was pretty much the same as I have been doing for 50 years, you can even change the oil filter without dropping the sump and it doesn't make any more mess than if you do, I put a rag around the filter housing and a length of paper towel to side as I always manage to get drips everywhere........ I'm seriously thinking of buying one of those taps for the sump, more for ease of draining for this old fart as I rarely overfill now.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 31-01-2023 at 06:37 AM.
Old 31-01-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,579 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Funny enough I thought the changing of the oil on the Jeep was pretty much the same as I have been doing for 50 years, you can even change the oil filter without dropping the sump and it doesn't make any more mess than if you do, I put a rag around the housing and a length of paper towel to side as I always manage to get drips everywhere........ I'm seriously thinking of buying one of those taps for the sump, more for ease of draining for this old fart as I rarely overfill now.....
I use an old kitty litter tray. Its big enough to go under all of the sump so can collect the oil & any drips. Its big enough to go under the auto trans when changing that as well. Its big enough so that if you drop the plug in, you can easy find it as the oil is not that deep.
Old 31-01-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

As you say Drover....we can even change the Oil Filter without dropping the sump oil....something thats not been available with other cars Ive had....no Ferrari's in my garages....must be an 'Italian thing'....ie: filters on top of engine in an inverted position....I didnt 'purposefully' overfill before 'the adventure'....was just 'lazy' and filled holding the 9-10lt drum (woteva it was) instead of decanting into smaller containers to 'make it easier'....I was under the pump to get going and...as those that do their own work will attest...when you rush a job you make mistakes....from 'memory'....I reckon roughly 8.8ish lts went in....was way too much in any case...proof was in the outcome.....still planning on putting a 'tap' fitting on the sump plug....bash plates first to protect it...kinda scared it will 'snare' something in while poking down/over a yrack and empty the sump....that is MY luck...if it wasnt for bad luck I'd have no luck...jus sayin

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply