XJ diesel starter motor options - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

I've decided to pull, the starter out of the parts car, and at least have a look at it, if it's any good, I'll give it a try before I spend the $ on a new one, it might be shagged, but at least, I know how to get them in and out now
Thanks for all the ideas and tips guys, if I discover any gems of wisdom, I'll be sure to pass them on!
Old 13-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Pulled the Starter motor out of the parts car this arvo, thanks to tassiecj6 for bringing it down from AG's place
Got it out in about 1.5 hrs, obviously been out before! No top bolt, the plug was melted, and the clutch has loads of play in it....
Of too minds wether to put it in or not, whilst waiting for an ebay job....., I have got some wheels to get around in
Old 13-02-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,583 Times in 4,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ6np435 View Post
Pulled the Starter motor out of the parts car this arvo, thanks to tassiecj6 for bringing it down from AG's place
Got it out in about 1.5 hrs, obviously been out before! No top bolt, the plug was melted, and the clutch has loads of play in it....
Of too minds wether to put it in or not, whilst waiting for an ebay job....., I have got some wheels to get around in
Doesnt sound too good. if the clutch is bad but the remainder is good, I would be changing out the clutch drive.
best check how much of the brushes you have left. its a good indicator of how much work its done. If your clutch was good 7 not slipping you could use it. I tried roughening the grip surfaces & tightening the springs inside the clutch. It worked for about 2 weeks & then started not to grip again.

Good Luck !
Old 16-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Starter is back in, fires up first twist of the key, no strange noises, so all good
I ended up stripping both starters, used my clutch and mechanism, the armature, brushes, and solenoid off the donor
I put the armature in the lathe and polished the commutator with some wet n dry, greased every thing, and re assembled

I thing you could easily get away with leaving the top bolt out, it wasn't in my parts car, and the starter is supported on the other end.

You can get over the top of the starter with a 1/4 drive long ext, and use an air ratchet to get the top bolt, out and in, still a prick

The heat shield on the starter motor, is a prick. To get back on, but necessary, the donor vehicle didn't have one, and there were melted parts in side.

The heat shield around the turbo dump pipe, is a prick to get back in too, mine, isn't in the original location, but the best I could do.

I think if you were inclined, you could make up a much better heat shield system, than the crappy tinfoil stuff

I called the place in Wang that were advertising on Ebay, he has 1 Bosch 177 in stock for $745, and some $245 ones due in April

One things for sure I hate working on the diesel......
Old 24-04-2015
i am the CIG

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

got a genuine bosch one today from veales had it on the shelf $450

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Old 25-04-2015
i am the CIG

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

new starter doesn't have studs for bracket on the rear
how do you get the top bolt out
its tighter than a virgins vag jee gee in there

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother

Last edited by layback40; 25-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 25-04-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Not easy Muz, I got a long 10mm ring spanner and bent to suit with the oxy
Then, when I cracked it
Got a series of 1/4" drive extensions over the top of the SM, with an air ratchet on he end
Prick of a job