qld hoon laws - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Tarred with same brush? I still fail to see how hooning relates to a lifted 4wd, unless you commit the offence. Not that I've tried but I doubt I could smoke the tyres in my 2008 JKU.

If someone does a hooning offence then personally I am happy to see them lose their vehicle for a 2nd offence. Get these clowns off the street! As for it being a 'mans car' as you say super, this law is targeted at those who fail to act like men, more like little boys.
Old 12-10-2012
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

The problem arises when the issuer of any such infraction is human, open to bias and predisposed to believing everyone is guilty until proven innocent.
Unfortunately the public finds it hard to believe that only the guilty will be punnished and there is no such thing as collateral damage.
If too much power is issued without strict controls and accountability, creates fear for people being caught up in an officers initial judgement being an unquestionable rule.
Unfortunately there has been enough questionable acts by police caught on video to undermine the good work that most perform. The bashing in the watch house carpark on the GC recently and the footage tonight of the women being knocked to the ground and punched in the face are examples of law enforcement officers stepping outside the law themselves.
How can the public trust that this will never occur.... Quite simply, they can't.

Last edited by Macca2801; 12-10-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2012
RubiconSlammer

Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Well CAELBLUE1, how little you know about how this law is currently applied.

I have been modifying vehicles for a long time, not just 4x4, have been involved in street machines to hot rods and most in between.

Have you ever chirped a tyre over a speedbump? Or had tyre noise in a concrete carpark when turning? Yep, thats a hoon offense.

Ever had your fully complianced and blue plated modified vehicle pulled over and had the officer 'believe' its modified more than the plate and then book you for every modification? You have to have the car re-inspected at your cost, go to court and present the documents, and get transport to inspect. And guess what, its still a hoon offense even if it passes the inspection.

These laws are totally at the officers discretion. I know what you will say, dont piss them off and keep a good attitude and it wont happen. Bullshit. I can't even count the number of times it has happened.

I have had far too many run ins, and sold far too many LEGALLY modified vehicles to avoid losing my license to trust these laws and those that enforce them.

I have also never received a single speeding fine in any of my modified vehicles. Works utes are a different story.

Before you comment on my vehicle, i am not including this here because if i get caught on the road in it its my fault. Its not the only modified 4x4 or vehicle i have, and it hasn't been engineered for its new parts as yet.
Old 12-10-2012
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
The problem arises when the issuer of any such infraction is human, open to bias and predisposed to believing everyone is guilty until proven innocent.
Unfortunately the public finds it hard to believe that only the guilty will be punished and there is no such thing as collateral damage.
If too much power is issued without strict controls and accountability, creates fear for people being caught up in an officers initial judgement being an unquestionable rule.
Unfortunately there has been enough questionable acts by police caught on video to undermine the good work that most perform. The bashing in the watch house carpark on the GC recently and the footage tonight of the women being knocked to the ground and punched in the face are examples of law enforcement officers stepping outside the law themselves.
How can the public trust that this will never occur.... Quite simply, they can't.
Sorry to change the topic:

Ditto! Who Police's the Police....?

CAELBLUE1 - Whilst I have great respect for what the Police do and the crap they have to put up with (even considered joining many years ago in AU and was accepted in the UK, but decided to keep traveling), I have witnessed many minor road related infringements by Police over the years and experienced first hand junior boys in blue beating their chests because of a badge and a sworn oath.

Having experienced officers of the law stipulating their rules when they have limited understanding of what the laws or requirements are in the situations irks me - one example with an officer was in relation to: what is the difference between a high beam light and a low beam light and what is the maximum height a low beam light can be mounted on a vehicle....Is their a maximum height for a high beam light - refer to the ADR's....I quoted them but the officer refused to accept even though he doubted his own understanding. So if you doubt your own understanding then you give the benefit of the doubt...which he did in the end, but afterward must have felt obligated to give me a verbal warning, what for? To make him feel good probably.....
When understanding has been questioned I have experience some squirm and resort to "because I'm telling you too"; insecure bullying tactics....sorry - not good enough, go back a refer to the legislation officer. Or is it because the Police based on their sometimes horrific experiences become so disillusioned with the public that they to start tarring us with the same brush - Who know's? stress has many affects.

I know one should not tar all with the same brush as I have several good mates that are Police, and even saved the lives of two Australian Federal Police whilst working overseas but I seem to encounter those that think they are a law unto themselves or just plain rude/arrogant. Maybe they need to knock the chips off their shoulders some more at the academy? Maybe I'm just unlucky , maybe it's just me and no one else experiences this?
Which motto is the most is most suited - "Firmness with Courtesy" or the current "With Honour We Serve"? The "Courtesy" needs to be brought back into play. Maybe it should be "With Honour & Courtesy We Serve".

Apart from that ----> where is this free country that we live in? I agree with rules put in place to minimize risk but believe it has become far to prescriptive with regulations and a total nanny state (that term is used far too often these days but we do nothing ).

i.e. What's the point in tyre dealers selling 35"+ tyres etc. if no one can run them (on road), I consider my car to be very safe if driven in the manner in which it is intended with the modifications made; and I do happen to know a just a little about OHS and road safety, mass management - NHVAS, vehicle stability, NTC requirements, ADR's & AS etc....So I would not wish to jeopardise my family, myself or any other road users by modifying in manner which reduces it's safety - but alas my TJ is technically illegal.....even though over the yrs the thousands and thousands spent on it have been done so with function, capability and safety in mind. alas, I rarely drive it at all these days due to family life.

Recently had a debate with a friend from Vic who many would consider to be Australia's foremost expert in Road safety, regularly brought in to the courts as a Road Safety expert / engineer. He too tried to convince me of the dangers of the modifications many of us have in relation to suspension, what he had a hard time comprehending due to tarring all with the same brush was that it only gets driven in the manner for which it was intended, the same as your should drive the road to suit the road conditions....

You don't jump behind the wheel of a four wheel drive and attempt to drive it like a subaru wrx....but the problem is that our roads are littered with drivers that think they can.......due to average Australian's poor driving skills. This is what needs to be fixed, licenses may as well come out of a Weeties box, make it mandatory for 4wd training I say, make all P plate learners (yes they are still learning) undergo defensive driver training, don't allow parents to teach their kids on their L Plates......No joke, this morning on the Logan Mwy when I was passed by an L Plate driver with an older man (father?) in the passenger seat of their Dunnydore he was doing at least 130, in a 100 zone - stupidity!

So whilst in theory what you say is the case it is not consistently practised as Police tend to interpret the law to suit the situation = inconsistent. Their would obviously be far more people contesting these inconsistencies were they not so dam expensive - i.e. time off work, lost wages....lawyer fees etc. so most just put up with the crap judgments placed upon them.

Last part of the rant - why the hell can't Qld drivers not pull over into the left hand lanes on the Mwy's & Hwy's? Many must think it is their birth right.

Last edited by Fat Chili; 13-10-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 13-10-2012
---8< CUT HERE >8---

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Crushing may make a statement to the offender and other potential offenders but it seems an incredibly wasteful thing to do.

Surely there is a better way.
Old 13-10-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

crushing vehicles very stupid idea who is the nutter tat thought that ne up.

campbell better idea is to sell the car at public auctin and put the money back into education progrms donot waste the car
Old 13-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to say it but if the law is passed more people are going to run from the cops if they have been done before.