Problems carrying out the WJ transmission reflash - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-12-2009
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmicko View Post
Hey mate... the best way to know is what RPM does your donk sit at when doing 100km/h?
Assumng the vehicle has factory spec'd tyres.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 29-12-2009
kids_taxi
Visitor

Schmiko, @ an indicated 100k's my GC is doing around 1800rpm, so I assume that would be about right if it had the flash update done.

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-01-2010
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids_taxi View Post
Schmiko, @ an indicated 100k's my GC is doing around 1800rpm, so I assume that would be about right if it had the flash update done.

Cheers

Chris
Hey kids_taxi,

Mine revs at ~1750 RPM when cruising at 100km/h after the reflash, that's with 245/70R16 BFG all-terrains, so yours sounds about right.

The dealership can check whst software your trans is running, but can't "downgrade" it back to a 4-speed, not that you'd want that anyway....

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 04-01-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDSTU View Post
Hanna,

Whilst I sympathise for the pain of forking over $110p/hr for labour, I think the dealership has done exactly what they wre supposed to do in order for them to fix the problem your Grand has. Dealerships cop this sort of thing all the time. The guys working there are getting an hourly rate, they dont make the prices up. It costs a fortune to run a car dealership.

They are fixing a problem in your car which you may have even caused (yet to be determined by the sound of it). Just remember I reckon you would have paid double at any auto electrician.

Good luck with it and I hope she all gets sorted for you. Electrics are a nightmare on any car.
I know what you're saying Stu - I understand why they charge those rates, what I was frustrated with is that they tried everything before they checked the PCM connectors - something that I reckon an auto electrician would have done a lot earlier. Anyway, the trans reflash was carried out ages ago and everything has been smooth sailing, except for the reverse light issue which still happens from time-to-time.

I think I am still scarred from the experience of the dealership trouble shooting, but I will get around to fixing it one day - if I can't then the auto electrician will get a shot - I'll see how he goes.....
Old 04-01-2010
kids_taxi
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Hey kids_taxi,

Mine revs at ~1750 RPM when cruising at 100km/h after the reflash, that's with 245/70R16 BFG all-terrains, so yours sounds about right.

The dealership can check whst software your trans is running, but can't "downgrade" it back to a 4-speed, not that you'd want that anyway....

Cheers,
Hanna

Hey Hanna,

When I spoke to the dealer recently, they told me they couldnt see if the flash was done or not, except to say that as it was done by a bulletin, it would have been done when the car was in for a service, as part of regular service.

Seeing as though its doing around the 1800rpm, its fair to say it has been done, anyway I can feel it drop another gear once it get up around 90k's, mine runs 235x70x17's.

Why is it that some run 16's & some run 17's...it's a jeep thing I guess.

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-01-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids_taxi View Post
Hey Hanna,

When I spoke to the dealer recently, they told me they couldnt see if the flash was done or not, except to say that as it was done by a bulletin, it would have been done when the car was in for a service, as part of regular service.

Seeing as though its doing around the 1800rpm, its fair to say it has been done, anyway I can feel it drop another gear once it get up around 90k's, mine runs 235x70x17's.

Why is it that some run 16's & some run 17's...it's a jeep thing I guess.

Cheers

Chris
Chris, I think the 16's came out standard on the earlier Grands (WJ) and the 17's on the later (WG's).

Mine is one of the first built (Sept 1999) so my 16" wheels would be the stockies. I would imagine that there would have been an option for 17's from around 2001 onwards as you see plenty of them getting around with either sized wheels.
Old 01-12-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hanna I have just seen this thread after having intermittent trouble with my reversing lights myself.

Did you eventually find the problem? was is in the loom under the carpet?
I also have a question regarding the reflashing of the transmission>
I was unaware that this was possible.
Has it been a success for you?
Martin.