CJ Shackle Extension / Diff Rotation?? Pic - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-01-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CJ Shackle Extension / Diff Rotation?? Pic

Due to my CJ5 springs being old and saggy i bent the absolute bajesus out of them with a hydraulic press. Problem is I've bent them so hard that the shackles have pushed up into the Jeep. See pic.
What's the best way forward? I was thinking of extending the shackles to stop them pushing forward. Who's done it? Any thoughts or concerns? Will this increase the angle of the tail shaft too much? Affect steering?

I also had the thought of rotating the diff towards the g/box to minimise the angle of the tail shaft. Maybe putting wedges between the spring and axle mount? Any thoughts? Has it been done? Would obviously have to re-locate the oil filler.

Cheers, Cambo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ Sprint Shackle2.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	18344  
Old 29-01-2007

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

hard to see exactly but looks like kick back on the shackles ( shackles jammed against chassis forward as they whent over center) caused when the springs are effectivly too short compared to shackle posistion the spring would be shorter if you bent them in the press to increase arch

I dont think extending the shackles is really going to prevent this happening again the if you can get a decent shackle angle at static then the best way forward is some anti kick back shackles, ome have a set for 2.5" wide springs which wont help you unless you want to do the full suspension system and some custome work to get them under there but you could copy the design basically a triangle shape shackle with a bar across it so when the shackle goes over center the bar hits the chassis and pushes the shackle back down

M.O.R.E also have a set that are more boomarang in shape

if it does this at static you need a new set of springs I have some stock CJ7 springs if you want but shipping may be an issue and the rears will be wider than yours so it will take some custom fab to make work

Last edited by AussieCJ7; 29-01-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 29-01-2007
RealJeepsdon'thavedoors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

rotating your axle up to minimise drive shaft angle, drive shaft angles are a pain, you have to keep input and output angles on the same plane, which means the amount you point the rear diff up, you have to lower the gearbox down the same. the only other way you can do this is to use a driveshaft with a double cardon joint, that way you can point diff yoke straight at the gearbox, I also don't think you would need to worry about the oil filler on the diff. I've used wedges to rotate the axle a little bit, but I've also cut the spring perches off and re welded them for major realignment
Old 30-01-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback.

Aussy - I love the idea of the triangle shackles. If I was to make them, is this right?; have the shackle (long edge) verticle and have a right angle pressing against the chassis facing the middle of the Jeep? Is that how they work?

Question - what does everyone think about extended shackles? I have 33" wheels (haven't driven it like this yet) and can increase or decrease the body mounts as much as I like (lower the better for centre of gravity). Does it affect steering etc much?

Glenn - We've already pointed the back of the g/box down a bit when installing the V8, so I should be OK to raise the diff so that the g/box output shaft and the diff input shaft are parrallel... thanks for the tip. Any other concerns/clues??

Cambo
Old 30-01-2007

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

just to clarify the bar on the anti kick back shackles should only hit the chassis in extreme situations where the sping brings the shackle over center this should NOT happen during normal suspension travel particulary onroad

I am not a big fan of longer shackles espec for the front, they are ok for fine tuning suspension but not as a primary form of lift imho

best option for you is really going to be new springs,

next best is that you start to look at fabricating new spring hangers to make the shackles sit at the spot in relation to your springs but for the amount of work new springs would be better

the anti kick back shackels are an option but only if this occurs only at extremes of supension articulation, if it occurs during normal supension cycles fix the real problem
Old 30-01-2007
RealJeepsdon'thavedoors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

just to let you know how I set my cj5 up, I'm running 33 inch tyres with a one inch body lift and the leaf springs are only about one and half/ two inches more arch than standard, front shackles are standard but on the rear I have shortened ford falcon springs on custom spring mounts which are set out as wide as i could get them (made the jeep way more stable on corners) I put one inch spacers on the transfer case cross member to drop the transfer case down to get a somewhat reasonable angle on the drive shaft, still looks extreme but doesnt viabrate
Old 30-01-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aussy - hearen ya loud and clear, sounds like I need to flatten my springs or get new ones (will have to go back to standard if I keep standard shackles?)
PS. had a look at your rig - the suspension and front bar look fantastic!

Glenn - sounds like a fantastic set up... but Im confused. On the front, how do you have a greater arch than standard, but have standard shackles? Do your shackles now swivel inwards as opposed to out?
Post New Thread  Reply