What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 1796 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint87 View Post
Yeah I had 6 inch speakers in the overhead console but I've removed that console as I was never happy with how they sounded so I'm putting 6x9s in the tailgate in the hope to get decent sound without putting a sub in there.
K, IMO I think the tail gate would have less air than the roof therefore would not improve. A decent set of speakers in the roof I think would sound pretty ok. My Pioneers have a pretty decent sound in the stock position. I have an amp and reasonable head unit to drive them. So far I am very happy with the results.

Regards A
Old 02-06-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

With the 6x9s mounted vertically room isn't to much of an issue, oh well I'll just have to see how it goes.
Wanted the roof console out to give a bit more clearance for my fridge/esky when I build my drawers also.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint87 View Post
With the 6x9s mounted vertically room isn't to much of an issue, oh well I'll just have to see how it goes.
Wanted the roof console out to give a bit more clearance for my fridge/esky when I build my drawers also.

Cheers
I mean air, to get the most out of the speakers you need trapped air. That's why a conventional vehicle tend to get better sounds because of the enclosed boot. What sort of drawer unit are you planning? Mine is huge and I don't need the space above to make it work. I have three drawers and a fridge side. The space I have above is a full width shelf which takes the items too large to fit elsewhere and not suitable for the roof basket. If you put speakers in the tail gate it will sound terrible if you have a drawer unit as they will be in front of the speakers.

Regards A
Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

On the pre-updates the rear sound bar is an add-in panel that has very little air volume behind it and they can rattle like nothing else if you push the speakers hard, I had an Xj years ago that had 6x9's in the tailgate, they worked well enough (for 6x9's), there is actually speaker mounts moulded into the fibreglass for 5.25's IIRC.
Of course the downside is as soon as you put anything in the rear you will muffle anything directional (anything other then bass) that they produce....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

Went to the autoshop on Sat to get some trans cooler hose. Bloke tells me there are like 10 different sizes and I need to know which one. I said there are only two sizes. He reckon'd no. He also said I could use vaccum hose as it is the same stuff. WTF..... I then told him I need 3/8 which is the larger of the two sizes for trans cooler hose. He comes back and tells me they have none and could get it by Tuesday. I said no thanks as I just drove 100km to get this and won't be back for weeks. Grrrr.

Regards A
Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Vacuum hose the same as trans cooler hose, I think not!!!!

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Vacuum hose the same as trans cooler hose, I think not!!!!
That was my thoughts. He was showing me 1/2 & 9/16 breather hose and trying to tell me there are transmissions that use this. Yerr probably if your looking for something to suit a Catepillar..........:

Regards A