WG Jeep Geek - Tinkering with Jeep Electronics - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default WG Jeep Geek - Tinkering with Jeep Electronics

I've posted a few things in the "What did you do to your Grand Today" thread that seems to have prompted a bit of interest. Hence, as requested, I am going to attempt to document some of my work in a bit more detail to help others.

A bit about me...
I'm a '60's child, married, two kids (one adult and the other soon to be) and hold a senior position as a professional expert in the mining industry. In my youth, I raced off-road. I used to have a wall full of trophies. Now I have a box full somewhere in the garage, if only I could find it.

Fifteen years ago, two friends and I set up a boutique electronics company as a paying hobby. My job was to program the Atmel AVR chips (this was long before Arduino existed). I also had a lot of exposure to circuit design and construction, so I am pretty handy with a soldering iron. I also built my own PVR (personal video recorder) for the challenge. Sounds impressive? It's really just a computer running MythTV software and a gazillion TV tuners hanging off it.

I purchased my 2004 2.7CRD WG in May 2017 after quite a bit of searching for a low-cost but capable 4WD. She has a few issues, but in terms of comfort and capability, I think I hit the jackpot. My soon-to-be-adult son enjoys going 4WD-ing with a few blokes from church once a month of so. Nothing too extreme, just explore, have fun, fish, swim, get stuck, snatch out, and then come home and fix the things we broke. The blokes have given me the CB call-sign of "Cheap Jeep." I don't mind, because they also know that I'll try stuff they won't - mostly because, as one said, "If he breaks it, at least he knows how to fix it."

Enough about me. This is already getting into TLDR territory!

This is my first "How TO" so please be gentle with the comments. More topics will follow, I hope, including more details on fixing the electroluminescent lighting in the WG gear changer for around $5 - without grafting in LED's.

Overhauling the Transmission Control Unit

First, a special shout to Kaido at www.jeepswj.com. I emailed him asking about his replacement PCB. He asked me about the error codes, then informed my NOT to buy one from him but instead to replace the transfer case switch. I recommend his fault code software, but please donate to support his work.

Many of the pictures below are linked from jeepswj.com. I trust he does not object.

Step 1 - Remove the console:

Undo the six screws:

Take care to get the correct screws! The two on the right below are hidden by the rear cup holder, if you have one. Open the cup holder to find them:

Step 2 - Remove the TCU:

If you have not yet done so, now would be a great time to disconnect your battery. Did I leave that part out? It does not matter... until now. Disconnect the battery NOW.

The TCU lives under the console. On RHD vehicles, it would be right by the driver's left calf:

Simply unplug the cable (you HAVE disconnected the battery, right?) and remove it. Mine was held in place by a single zip-tie (aka cable tie). Just cut the cable tie.

Step 3 - Dismantle the TCU:

The PCB is held in by four clips, marked red below. I ended up borrowing 4 knives from the kitchen to simultaneously pry all four clips to allow the PCB to pop out. (I chose my moment... when the wife was out shopping. What she does not know won't hurt her, but it will me if she finds out).

Take note of the slot at the bottom of the case, marked in yellow. This is to hold the back end of the PCB when you reassemble. Miss that and you'll be in a world of hurt. It won't go back together if you have the case upside down. Please don't ask how I know this!

Step 4 - Solder the terminals:

This step is not for the faint-hearted. Practice your soldering skills on something less expensive first. Make sure you have a good quality temperature controlled iron. If it's not temperature controlled, don't go near it for PCB work. Mine is a 46W Goot from Jaycar. It sometimes struggles with automotive work. I notice they have a pretty good looking 80W one here: https://www.jaycar.com.au/goot-240v-...-iron/p/TS1430
Also get the 0.3mm tip. This is PCB work - not plumbing!
While there, pick up a tin of electronic cleaning solvent and PCB lacquer. You'll need them later:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/circuit-bo...y-can/p/NA1002
https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic...y-can/p/NA1008

Oh! Get solder too, and an iron holder - preferably one with a tip-cleaner built in. Make sure the workstation is comfortable. You're going to be there for an hour or more. This is my station. Note the magnifying lamp. It's great. You may or may not need one depending on how good your eyes are. Working with one is an acquired skill, like drinking beer. (More on beer later. Right now you need to be stone cold sober and have steady hands. Keep remembering how expensive the TCU is to replace if you get this wrong!)

The terminals to re-solder are the ones below. See "Tip 5" here: http://jeepswj.com/tips/

Just melt the solder and daub on a little more fresh solder. If you make a messy blob, clean the soldering tip and re-melt without daubing any on. This will remove some solder. If you make a REALLY big mess, get an old plastic Bic biro and pull out the ink/point. (Remember making blow-guns at school?) Melt the solder and use the biro in your mouth to blow away the excess. Be careful where you blow it to. Always blow towards the edge of the PCB, never onto it.

Take your time. Stay calm. If you start getting frustrated, go do something else for a while.

Step 5 - Clean and Lacquer:

You remembered to get the cleaner and lacquer, right? Take the PCB to a spot where a bit of spillage will not matter. I did mine on the road outside, but I live in a cul-de-sac. It might be a bad idea if you live on Bourke St. Don't be too concerned about environmental contamination. The cleaner will evaporate before it goes 10 feet.

Put on a set of gloves and give the PCB a good dousing with the cleaner. Flush away any grime or greasiness. Set it aside for about half an hour to dry, then spray it with the lacquer. I gave mine two heavy coats each side, with some run-off. This is not decorative painting, it's protective. Mine looked like this when done:

Step 6 - Reassemble:

I don't have any pictures here, but if you have gotten this far I am sure you can figure it out. Follow the steps in reverse, ensuring you get the PCB into the housing the right way around.

You'll need a zip-tie to hold the TCU back in place.

I ended up prying out the ash-tray module to be able to wiggle in the console. Your milage may vary.

Step 7 - Test drive:

Okay, now you can go get beer and reward yourself for a half-day well spent.

More "Jeep Geek" from "Cheap Jeep" to come (if you like this stuff).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCU Case.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	76256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workstation.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	76257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lacquered PCB.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	76258  

Last edited by JeanLuke; 26-08-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 26-08-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Excellent write up well written. More please.
Old 26-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Excellent write up well written. More please.
Thanks.

I'm down with 'flu at the moment (I've just been reduced to a statistic) so it might be a while. I want to do the gearshift illumination one next, because I have seen heaps of info on replacing the Electro-Luminescent membrane with LED strips, but none on just replacing the EL driver - which is far cheaper & simpler.

I also want to do the OBD Boost gauge.

I believe Hoobz has an Arduino project brewing also, but he's staying tight-lipped about it until he has it working. Jump in, Hoobz, whenever you are ready.

Last edited by JeanLuke; 26-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 27-08-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Great writeup JeanLuke.
Old 28-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ok ok

I have to admit

I've got a man crush starting
You bloody legend Jean

I've had zero luck googling the universe to get onto a good contact about this topic, what you contain in your head

Very interested in it allll

To cut a looonng story short...
Are you a member on pirate4x4? I started this thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/elect...l#post41760737

The replier has answered quite a few of my thoughts by accident, and headed my thoughts in unexpected ways. Good stuff

I have sooo many questions

Last edited by Hoobz; 28-08-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 28-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
Thanks.

I believe Hoobz has an Arduino project brewing also, but he's staying tight-lipped about it until he has it working. Jump in, Hoobz, whenever you are ready.
You maybe should have kept your talents a secret
I'll try to only annoy you with question bombing when I hit walls

I want to experience doing my project on my own, with no help, apart from basic research. No cheating

There will be failure but keen to solve

The most annoying aspect of destroying the WG engine this weekend is it will probably distract me from my study of C programming and arduino fun too. I've been loving it, the head pains included. Hey, I'm just an old school carpenter after all

Got
To
Resist

I'll just have to budget my time wisely
Old 29-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
Ok ok

I have to admit

I've got a man crush starting
You bloody legend Jean

I've had zero luck googling the universe to get onto a good contact about this topic, what you contain in your head

Very interested in it allll

To cut a looonng story short...
Are you a member on pirate4x4? I started this thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/elect...l#post41760737

The replier has answered quite a few of my thoughts by accident, and headed my thoughts in unexpected ways. Good stuff

I have sooo many questions
What is it you are trying to accomplish with the Arduino project?

If it's a standalone ECU, there already is one, open source actually, search Speeduino and you can look at the code to understand what's going on.

For a standalone TCU, there's a guy who built a Mercedes 722.6 (same gearbox as on the WG CRD and WH CRD) controller and it's using an Atmega 2560 so it's possible. A transmission controller is much simpler than an engine controller, it will boil down to a state machine which jumps between states based on few parameters (RPM and load for instance).

You can also ask here

Last edited by Adrian D; 29-08-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply