Manual vs automatic - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-03-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can't drift a auto properly, no ability to double pump the clutch or feather it.

If you don't like your box, clutch or car in general you can also flat shift the manual to avoid that pesky stalling as soon as you touch the clutch. Mind you I love sand dunning a light manual car. Old RWD datsun's rock. I've killed a few that way.

That said Auto's are really good on the sand thanks to not needing to change gears.

Liking this thread too. People's opinions are quite interesting.
Old 22-03-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaddowEdge View Post
You can't drift a auto properly, no ability to double pump the clutch or feather it.

If you don't like your box, clutch or car in general you can also flat shift the manual to avoid that pesky stalling as soon as you touch the clutch. Mind you I love sand dunning a light manual car. Old RWD datsun's rock. I've killed a few that way.

That said Auto's are really good on the sand thanks to not needing to change gears.

Liking this thread too. People's opinions are quite interesting.
yea old dattos rock!
http://bit.ly/1eFBSY5
Old 25-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

When it comes down to it it's a personal choice. I genuinely don't believe that one is better than the other - both have their advantages and disadvantages. I drive a manual because I vastly prefer it (that it was quite a bit cheaper was a nice bonus) and would be gutted if the car(s) I want were automatic only, but can completely understand that, in Australia and the US at least, people prefer to have the vehicle do that job for them.

What I do resent is that because so many people can't or won't drive a manual the choice is increasingly being taken away from those of us who can and do. For example, the gearbox in the manual Discovery 3s that used to be available is lovely and completely transforms the vehicle from a fairly drudgy fuel guzzler into a sprightly, slightly less thirsty fuel guzzler. Same with the Wrangler - to me, at least, the manual feels like a different vehicle with much of the sluggishness on accelaration and all if it on gear shifts gone.

The ideal combination, for me, would be a dual clutch automated manual that could be driven like a normal manual with a gear stick (and a manual clutch!), and put into shopping trolley mode for those times when you can't be arsed to do it.

Of course, such a thing would be an engineering nightmare, but hey, a boy can dream, can't he?
Old 26-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I like manuals because I can downshift before a turn (or a steep dip), hold the gear through and upshift when I wan't.

When they invent an auto that can change gears for not what is happening but what is about to happen then sign me up.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs
Old 26-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post

The ideal combination, for me, would be a dual clutch automated manual that could be driven like a normal manual with a gear stick (and a manual clutch!), and put into shopping trolley mode for those times when you can't be arsed to do it.
I've always wondered if it was possible to make a gearbox that was manual in every gear except first. You use the clutch to put the car in first gear, once in first you wouldn't touch the clutch so when stop/starting you only use the accel and brake (would be great for traffic).

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs
Old 26-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrangie View Post
I was told the other day with young drivers getting their licenses that if they get an auto license that all they can drive even once they are off there P plates, i think the day of the manual is dying.
Maybe they have to be retrained to acknowledge they have 2 feet ... or do they use the other foot for the phone they always seem to be using?
At one stage you could have a bike licence but were not allowed to drive a manual car ... laws are there to prevent us enjoying ourselves
too much .. or maybe at all.
Our guys were all advised to get a manual licence, update it to truck ASAP (even if never used) and a bike licence.. solves all of lifes problems.
Old 28-03-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
I've always wondered if it was possible to make a gearbox that was manual in every gear except first. You use the clutch to put the car in first gear, once in first you wouldn't touch the clutch so when stop/starting you only use the accel and brake (would be great for traffic).
In the 50s dodge had a hydro drive box. You had a clutch pedal and a three speed column shift. You could take off in every gear and stop in every gear without the use of the clutch. The "hrydo drive" interfaced to making a slipping surface so you could get up to speed if you were in say third gear. Was kind of fun to drive. The gears were not synchro meshed so it was well a fun car to drive.
Post New Thread  Reply