thinking of buying xj, lpg costs? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying xj, lpg costs?

hey all i have seen a relatively cheap black limited, and fallen in love with it, but with high fuel consumption ive thought it may be a little out of my range. looking over some stuff they seem to go allright with lpg? now my question is.... i live on the gold coast, are there any decent lpg fitters around here? and how much would i be expecting to pay for a conversion, for one with a tank under the car, and one with a tank in the boot? and does the government do the rebate still?

thanks for your help guys
Old 06-11-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A google search will get most of what you need. I am looking at getting LPG under and have been quoted $4500 to $4800 I expect there is cheaper but not here in ACT. Gov still does rebate under certain conditions - search gov rebate LPG.
Old 07-11-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mmm Black... I did the same and fell in love with my black limited and now I'm forever washing it!

Onto the gas - I'm about to get mine converted (I keep saying that) and I've been quoted everything from $3500 to $4200 so it varies. Plus if you are wanting to get Gas Injected then your looking more at the $5800 mark.

I'm in Vic and for me the Goverment Rebate is still going so I'll be getting back $2000. Of course this is only if the car is for private use (so not a company) and if the person who converts the car is certified. Hope that helps.

Oh and I've rung a bunch of conversion places down here and they've had mixed emotions about doing Jeeps so you best find a good one that is happy and has done them before. Or, like me, go to a mechanic that is scared of my dad.
Old 07-11-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate, you would have to be seriously in love with with a colour and/ or 'relatively cheap' must mean 'bargain of the century' to ignore vehicles like this one that already HAVE been converted and go for little more than the conversion will set you back!
good luck with however you choose to proceed; lpg is definitely the way to go, i would never have considered a car like this without conversion (which mine already had when i bought it).
btw, this rig has been listed for quite a while now so a) it may be a dud or b) the owner should get fairly negotiable by now...

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/JEEP/CHEROKEE/details.aspx?__sid=11372817DA6E&Cr=2&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&State=Queensland&distance=25&silo=1003&seot=0&PriceMax=10000&__Nne=20&Model=CHEROKEE&R=1723424&__N=4294965086+79+408+4294965012+834+285+257&Make=JEEP&state_id=79&trecs=16
Old 07-11-2007
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default lpg

yer i am going to convert to gas too on my 98 xj rang a very well known lpg fitter wanted gas injection not a problem till i told him it was a jeep he told me he would not. waste his time doing ajeep and hung up is there some kind of problem doing jeeps
Old 08-11-2007
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Not with the XJ there is not but wasn't there some problem with the Grand Cherokee's?

This was in a our local paper today, ( they are a bit behind ) but this new type of tank looks the goods.

http://www.lpgautogas.com.au/index.c...&unq=68&Type=R

Allows for a much shallower tank and much lighter too. Some of those are so shallow you could place it in the back with a false floor over the top.
http://www.propaneperformance.com/
They also stated in the local paper that they were working on a wedge shaped tank espacially for 4wd's to give a greater departure angle.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 09-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A set up was quoted at $2 800 for me. That included an approx usable 65L tank fitted behind the seat and using indirect injection. So, after the rebate, you are only $800 out of pocket.

"CANYONERO"
Post New Thread  Reply