Towing with JKU Diesel - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

I towed a cub camper with my CRD auto. Probably weighed about 1.2T. I didn't have a extra transmission cooler fitted so it struggled with overheating, even on cool days. The first sign of a hill and you could watch both the engine temps and the transmission temps climb alarmingly quickly. And that happened even when making an effort to keep the torque converter locked. Had I been going to do more towing I'd certainly have fitted a cooler.

Other than the overheating (which would have been sorted by an extra cooler) I thought it was a good tow vehicle......for towing a camper trailer. It was stable when towing.....probably more stable than it was solo if I'm honest, and comfortable to tow with. I had flexi coils fitted so needed airbags as well for when I was towing but it handled the weight well. It had enough get up and go to manage the weight of the camper, but I'd not have wanted to tow anything bigger/heavier with it as I think it would then have struggled. If towing a taller and heavier caravan at close to it's max towing weight I think the extra weight plus the extra wind resistance would have been pushing it a bit.

Probably my only gripe would have been the gearing. I had the old Chrysler transmission and keeping it locked out of overdrive when towing meant that it was effectively a 3 speed auto. It really could have done with another ratio in there to play with. On twisty hilly driving I often found I was travelling too slow to keep it in the power band and keep the torque converter locked in 3rd, but dropping it back to 2nd meant that it was revving fairly high. I think another ratio, and making first gear even lower would have been good. The gearing issue would have been even more noticeable if you were towing something bigger & heavier. Not sure if the ratios in the newer Mercedes transmission are any different.
Old 24-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts

I really don't want to get rid of the jeep, I don't plan on investing in a huge van, just something my wife and I can cook eat and sleep in, nothing to extravagant. I will do the mods and then do a test run with a mates van

Cheers
Old 24-08-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

I reckon if you keep the van GVM below 2000 kg you will be ok, as long as you fit additional transmission cooling.

Cheers.
Old 24-08-2017
Established Member

Hoping so, I waited long enough to buy myself a good fourby and I couldn't be happier with the JKU.
Old 24-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

At the end of the day what makes a good tow vehicle is not what makes a good DD and is not what makes a good 4WD. If you want to use a vehicle for 2 or even all 3 of these things then there will be compromises along the way. The JKU can do all 3 but it is far more focused on the 4WD'ing so it is a compromise for a DD and for towing, but it can still do the others. I was happy using it for all 3. It was only when we wanted to tow something that was over the legal limit of the JK that I then had to look for a more towing focussed vehicle instead of a more 4WD focussed one. If you are towing something under 2300kg (with a JKU CRD) and are understanding that when towing in hotter, steeper terrain the JKU might have to be driven more cautiously with a mind to controlling temperatures then it will do the job. I'd say it is better suited to towing smaller trailers (say 1.5T or under) but I know people who have towed heavier and been happy with it.

Last edited by Paul-JK; 24-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 24-08-2017
Established Member

Does anyone know where I can get a good quality tranny cooler kit from, I'm located in the hunter valley

Cheers
Old 24-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Try Shents at Wyong. Phil used to do all the work on my JK and they're good guys to deal with.