What is This? Thread - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-01-2021
Jingle ALL the way...

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts
Default What is This? Thread

When working on the XJ, I come across some parts etc every now and then that I can't identify, know what its for or what it's doing. Or should be. Good chance someone else here would actually know.

Came across this when I was working on the ignition switch
It's on the right side of the steering column, behind the key cylinder under the plastic cover. Not attached to anything there.
(Apologies, it keeps rotating the pics when uploading, turn screen 90 degrees clockwise)

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.

Last edited by Roler; 28-01-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old 28-01-2021
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

Shift interlock cable.

BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK MECHANISM

The Brake Transmission Shifter/Ignition Interlock (BTSI), is a cable and solenoid operated system. It interconnects the automatic transmission floor mounted shifter to the steering column ignition switch. The system locks the shifter into the PARK position. The Interlock system is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position. An additional electrically activated feature will prevent shifting out of the PARK position unless the brake pedal is depressed at least one-half an inch. A magnetic holding device in line with the park/brake interlock cable is energized when the ignition is in the RUN position. When the key is in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed, the shifter is unlocked and will move into any position. The interlock system also prevents the ignition switch from being turned to the LOCK or ACCESSORY position unless the shifter is fully locked into the PARK position.

See the pic in post #13 of this thread...
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/...ylinder.28858/

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 28-01-2021 at 06:18 AM.
Old 28-01-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

it's yellow it must be for safety... no jonny is right
Old 28-01-2021
Jingle ALL the way...

Ah thanks for that link and reply
Makes sense now

Mine isn't attached/inserted into that metal 'box', like one of the pics in that thread. But still seems to work!?

Wouldn't one expect it being dependent/relating to what happens with the ignition key position, that it should def only work with that yellow piece inserted.

Old 29-01-2021
Jingle ALL the way...

Went through my pics from during the job and now I see where it needs to sit..
Thanks again for the pointers

Old 01-03-2021
Jingle ALL the way...

Not an item, but more an observation/ question
When I had the front on jackstands, my left front wheel and brake caliper off and turning the axle (wheel) I noticed the front drive shaft turning as well. The xj was not in 4x4 only 2wd.

I think I remember this being normal. Is that so?

Old 01-03-2021
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

The front driveshaft would spin when driving whether or not the TC is in 4wd. The TC being in 2WD or neutral means the front driveshaft isn't linked to anything and is free to be spun by the axle. If the TC had been in 4WD, the drive for the chain would be engaged linking the front and rear drive shafts, and preventing the front shaft from turning when stationary with a front wheel raised.
Post New Thread  Reply