Ram chassis issues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts
Default Ram chassis issues

Just talking to my next door neighbour.
He has been away last 3 months towing his 3.5 ton caravan with his new Ram Larrivee 4x4 5.7 hemi v8.Cars done 19,000km
Car is rated for 4.5 ton.
He has just been told that the chassis is twisted and that the car will have to be replaced and he is not the only one so he is told.
Supposedly a weak spot around the springs ??
He will get his new replacement and sell it
Old 07-11-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,120 Times in 595 Posts

Interesting...have seen a few photos of bent and broken RAMS. It seems because they are rated for 4.5 tonne owners "load em up".
Bit like the plethora of Jap dual cabs that are overloaded with canopies and extended tow bars towing vans loaded with bikes and full loaded front tool boxes that end up bending behind the cab.
I guess unless the Dealership is prepared to replace the vehicle under warranty the damage must have been caused by the owner...
Old 07-11-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 654 Times in 373 Posts

Even though they're rated to 4.5t towing, the 1500s (and F150) have a lower payload than 'regular' dual cabs IIRC. Sounds like this could be a more systemic issue though if the dealer is willing to replace.

Realistically the 'mid-size' 1500s and F150s aren't actually a significant step up on 'regular' tow vehicles, despite what the marketing and owners will have you believe. It's only once you get to the full-size 2500s and F250s that you really see benefit - but with that comes a big step in both price and size.

Old 07-11-2023
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Yeah, friends of ours run a Big Chev Silverado. Although it can tow 4500kg, when their Base Station is behind, after the 350kg towball weight, the useable carrying capacity for the tug is around 500kg for occupants, fuel, personal effects, etc.

The end result, as they are pretty switched on, is that in the tray area they only carry two fridges and a chainsaw....

They are still pretty happy tho, as the van and contents are still legal when loaded up with all tbeir other stuff.

Cheers.
Old 07-11-2023
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace1 View Post
Yeah, friends of ours run a Big Chev Silverado. Although it can tow 4500kg, when their Base Station is behind, after the 350kg towball weight, the useable carrying capacity for the tug is around 500kg for occupants, fuel, personal effects, etc.

The end result, as they are pretty switched on, is that in the tray area they only carry two fridges and a chainsaw....

They are still pretty happy tho, as the van and contents are still legal when loaded up with all tbeir other stuff.

Cheers.
Yeah that's it - if you're smart about it, they're good as gold. It's when people chuck a full canopy setup, rooftop tent, tinny, etc. on that they run into trouble. I understand the desire to have a van as well as the ability to be fully self-sufficient without the van, but it's horses for courses - unfortunately, many people seem to have a lot more dollars (or debt) than sense.

Doesn't help that many of the bigger guys 'selling the dream' on TV, YouTube, social media (e.g. 4WD 24/7, All4Adventure, etc.) have gone to similar $250k+ setups. If they've done it properly (which they usually have for insurance purposes), it's all engineered and within limits, but unfortunately those watching and emulating at home don't always follow suit...

Old 07-11-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,898 Times in 2,306 Posts

I see by the latest spec sheet the GCM and GVM have increased ..... they have about 800kg load capacity so once you drop some ball weight on it not much left for bums, beer and fuel, add a bit if bar work and you would be in serious trouble and quickly be over the GVM, so would have to watch things, GCM has increased to something in the 7500 kgs so be plenty of trippers with a big van and the RAM with all the extras that be way over the mark, first thing I would do is chuck the springs and fit decent set on them, they are so spongy and chuck the tub, reclaim some load cap by fitting a alloy tray, I think a nudge bar instead of a big gate .............

Measured up my garage to see if one would fit and its was just a tad bigger than my Colorado and would fit in my garage nicely....

I would have to say having looked at plenty while camping last month, there are some serious load problems with some of these rigs out there and that includes the Grand Cherokee set ups....... Canary bait for sure...

Thoough if its starting to happen one would think something has gone wrong during a build run...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
bjm

Last edited by drover; 07-11-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2023
Full Flexer

By chance, for those interested, I've just seen that the new RAM 1500 is being announced tonight. All but confirmed to be dropping the V8 for the Hurricane TT inline 6 already in the Wagoneer in the US.

Might be some RAM runouts happening in the next 12mo Drover...

Pretty annoyed they haven't brought that engine to the GC yet, as it looks quite promising. Hopefully supply constraints as opposed to an intentional tact. Will be hard to convert many in Aus from diesel, but with the Y62 and existing 1500's Hemi upping sales for full-size petrol vehicles, I think the market is a lot more willing than it was 5yrs ago. If the RAM's popularity remains post-V8, maybe that'll make the business case for a suitably-powered WL GC a bit more enticing...

Last edited by LeCheese; 07-11-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply