Do real jeeps have live axle front ends - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Question Polls
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2008
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chili View Post
Looks like you'd better convert, as that day has occurred

Walker Evens built Chevy S10 IFS Krawler on 40" tyres - http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpa...s10/index.html

Well bugger me, someone was crazy enough to try! Good to see they got rid if the A-arms.

I'm not convinced yet thou.

IFS brilliant for the black top (that would be why most 4bys you buy for towing have IFS) ie 100 series cruisers,commanders.

As for real Jeep, definately Solid axles, vertical windscreeen and seven slot grill!
Old 01-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post
Who cares, all 4wds are just pedestrian disablers and child squashers, SFA or Indy dosent matter, both will killem dead! ;)
And BTW, X90s are the Gheyest car ever built, except for maybe the Smart cars or maybe the Mighty boy, no matter what axles are undcer them or how much has been spent!
Gildo, happy new year, must be just having to sell your XJ has turned your scorn to something other than VM diesels.

And yes Smart Car, followed by X90 then Mighty Boy would be the gheyest cars ever built.

If enough 4WDs did their job there would be no more pedestrian greenies trying to ruin everyones fun
Old 01-01-2008
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn21 View Post
i live on 13 acres in a regional area
i have had 3 hiluxs 2 with ifs and a rodeo ifs
all the ifs 4wds have repeatedly broken cvs and centers and locating hardware
until i purchased my jeep cherokee i replaced the previous 4wds with a GU ute ex telstra heavy duty leaf rear end
nothing i threw at the GU worried it dragging 1 tonne rocks from our new dam to the front of our house for a 30 mtr long garden bed to dragging full length felled trees to be cut up for fence posts
before i bought the GU i relied on mates landcruisers and patrols
i sold the GU to buy my jeep and while i do not have a conventional chassis by not jerking when i pull things and using a snatch strap instead of a 14 mm drag chain so far i have had no problems
i could not do work around my property with out a live front end
i take offence when people try to put there oppinions on others just put your point of view forward and leave it as that
Craig
you need a tractor not a live front end :)lol

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 01-01-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default live axles

you are probably right but i could not find a tractor with a jeep badge lol
Craig
Old 01-01-2008
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Whilst I normally abhor IFS - there are exceptions....Now who in their right might wouldn't claim this paddock basher as a Jeep ;)
Old 01-01-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Watch this vid and then tell me it ain't a real 4x4.... is that an IFS.....?
http://

Last edited by KJ Ash; 01-01-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2008
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Might be IFS but its not a Jeep.

Quote:
Do real jeeps have live axle front ends?
And its a classic demonstration of the limitations of independent suspension. (H1's are IRS as well as IFS) Its lifting wheels all over the place.

And yes I would call the H1 humvee a real 4wd.

Last edited by Antz; 01-01-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: can't spell
Post New Thread  Reply