New Fraser Island safety rules - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > AUSJEEP Updates and News
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default New Fraser Island safety rules

In the Courier Mail (13 Sep 2009) there is a item about the new Fraser Island safety rules.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...5-3102,00.html

A extract:

restrictions banning troop carriers and loading luggage on top of vehicles on the island will be in place by Christmas, according to Transport Minister Rachel Nolan.

Ms Nolan said the seven-seat limit and top-load prohibition would become effective as soon as signage was erected by Christmas.

Those caught breaking the rules face a fine of up to $4000 or six months' imprisonment.

End extract
Old 13-09-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Looks like Qlds Transport Minister needs the same sort of treatment the NSW one got over the suspension issue.

Maybe suggesting a ban on euro backpackers hiring 4wd vehicles wiould be a better solution.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 13-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 13-09-2009
I LOVE MY JK WRANGLER

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I think you will find that the new rules only apply to the Hire 4WDs.
Old 13-09-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Gee I wonder how many of these Tag along tour operators are going to have a silent partner or council memeber who just happens to be a "Friend"

Does that mean anyone who wants to drive the island Has to go on one of thsese tag a long tours. And have they thought about the Nothing on the roof bit, that sgoing to mean an increase in trailers on the island by around 10000%.. Whats that going to do to track on the island.

Just ban the bloody troopys full of 12 pissed unexperienced backpackers. Put em in tourbusses, and only take them to certain parts of the island.

Looks like the people with the money and power and special friends are going to get their way with Fraser and eventually ban all private vehicles, and make it so as the only way to see this "National Park" which should be freely accesable to all Australians, is to pay a privately owned operation big dollars and thell have a monopoly on the place.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 13-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I should hope so, I wish they would publish more info, is a fishing rod on the roof a rooftop load?
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 13-09-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perhaps instead of limiting seat numbers and luggage capacity the qld transport minister should look into options on limiting the drivers/hire vehicles.

Would you all not think it to be a better idea to govern the vehicles so max speed is 70 to 80 kph, and enforce that all hire mobs make sure that tourists (and even residents of australia) either hold a current drivers licence and have undertaken a 4x4 and/or tactical driver training course.

Also not to mention regular loged servicing should be enforced and strictly supervised on these hire 4x4's.

Speed, lack of driver knowledge and experience is the problem, not the amount of people or luggage a vehicle can carry.

In fact manny of these troopys have been in constant operation on mine sites filled up to the hilt with gear and passengers.
Old 14-09-2009
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post

Looks like Qlds Transport Minister needs the same sort of treatment the NSW one got over the suspension issue.

Maybe suggesting a ban on euro backpackers hiring 4wd vehicles wiould be a better solution.

People want more than 7 people in a 4WD???

Thats insane! I try to keep mine to two people max when i'm on the beach!

sorry Carves, I think your way off on this one
Post New Thread  Reply