Hardtop Hoist Build - Questions - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Hardtop Hoist Build - Questions

I am thinking of building a hardtop hoist for my JKU.

I know there are several variations out there - commercial and home made.

I have seen this one from the States which seems pretty reasonable: http://www.hoistlifts.com/hard-top-h...VPAE-JEEP.html

The obvious problem with this is the voltage of the winch. A easy fix, but it's more $ on top of a worsening exchange rate and high shipping costs,.

So, why not make something similar from local materials. The hoist lift approach would be easier than trying to copy a Lange.

I am thinking a winch like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125-250KG...4AAOSw5VFWQjcI

A couple of slings like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIFT-SAFE...IAAOSwpDdVBWYd

I would set it up as a dead lift with the winch on a truss (solid bit of timber holding up my house, so it's plenty big)...

Thoughts? Am I missing something? Or am I just stupid and should buy theirs (hand pull) and retrofit with the winch...

Cheers
Old 28-12-2015
Established Member

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

Mate, there are multiple threads on this including one at the moment.

Plenty of ideas out there.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=142187
Old 28-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks, have read those but they don't suit my needs.

I want to lift up and well out of the way, so some winch (manual or electric) is needed.

I am looking for some feedback on the design and materials I propose go use.

Thanks
Old 28-12-2015
Established Member

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

Did you see Seacomms link in the other thread? Check out the YouTube link. Pretty impressive I thought and similar to what your after?

http://www.justaskdave.com.au/jk-har...st-my-version/
Old 28-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Yep, saw that too.

That is where I got the local winch idea.

I was thinking a sling would be easier to attach/set up then the hooks under the hardtop.
Old 28-12-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I was going to use a sling front to rear but I wanted to get it higher and closer to the roof so I went the way I did. That is the same hoist motor I used, works great - I have the rope doubled so it gives a 250kg rating, but more importantly it slows it down to a good speed.

Of course within 6 months of building the hoist I traded the JK..... now its used to hold a whole heap of crap up out of the way! (3 ladders, dogs bed and a home gym at the moment!)

Not sure if it makes any difference, this is the winch I used - claimed as vertical or horizontal (as I mounted mine horizontally).

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 28-12-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 28-12-2015
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I use my 18v drill on low to hoist it up/down or alternatively with a manual cranking handle. That's a JKUR roof hooked up.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 28-12-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply