Dana 30 and 44 ring and pinion install diy - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-04-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must of been drunk when I looked at the pinion engravings cause instead of +2 it's -12, which is a lot of difference. So I should have to minus 0.012 worth of shims. I think it's been butchered from a previous owner cause everything has been coming out way too easy, after removing the driveshaft undo the pinion nut and remove the yoke, put the nut back on a few threads and give it a bash. The pinion should come out relatively easy. Then it's off with the outer pinion seal and that was a bitch to get off.

Old 25-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive stripped the housing and there were no shims under the inner bearing race, so the 0.060 slinger is the only shim used, now I have to take off 0.012 worth of shims so I've had to order a new slinger. I've ordered a 0.030 slinger and I'll put 0.018 shims under the race. Crap part of that is I have to wait till probably early next week to do anything.

So I'll press the new bearing on without a slinger and use 0.048 worth of shims to set everything up on the race so I can at least get a bit further. Then on final assembly I can put the slinger in and adjust the shims to suit
Old 25-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermuzza View Post
Ive stripped the housing and there were no shims under the inner bearing race, so the 0.060 slinger is the only shim used, now I have to take off 0.012 worth of shims so I've had to order a new slinger. I've ordered a 0.030 slinger and I'll put 0.018 shims under the race. Crap part of that is I have to wait till probably early next week to do anything.

So I'll press the new bearing on without a slinger and use 0.048 worth of shims to set everything up on the race so I can at least get a bit further. Then on final assembly I can put the slinger in and adjust the shims to suit
How do you plan on getting the inner pinion bearing back off without damaging it?
Old 25-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It'll press off easy, worst case itll be 20 bucks for a new bearing
Old 27-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ended up making some set up bearings for the carrier,not sure if its a good idea, I probably should of bought some. I grinder the ID of the bearing so it slips on

Old 27-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I fiddled with the shims for a bit and got it close but stills still a little great, but got a pattern just to show ya, the backlash was around 0.01, it should be between 0.005 and 0.008

According to the pattern sheet the pinion depth looks alright just too much backlash
Old 27-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just increased the backlash to 0.003 by moving the shim 0.005 from one side to the other, this tells me the the pinion needs to be shimmed out further