Buying a WK2 very soon - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,319 Posts

Thankfully my low mileage GC came with Bull bar side steps and tow bar, I'm over doing fit outs on vehicles and it doesn't have park sensors but I know how to drive and park anyway so no loss.............. My ECB bar has caps over the sensor holes.

Mate who always DiY'd his vehicle used the so called professionals (Big name shop) for his Ranger fit out, stuffed the sensors and with the aux battery set up, stuffed the alternator and battery, he'd always whinged about letting others do it but like me he's getting old...... once upon a time the fit out was something to look forward to, now a big pain............ at least mine has all the bugs sorted, though I did pull the rear bumper off, now thats horrible, to make sure the tow bar bolts were torqued up properly, worth the pain.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 05-02-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
It also says it only works on Laredo Diesels without Quadrift, same for the ARB bar. Weird.
The only ones I've found compatible with all the stuff is the Off-road Animal prerunner and the Roosystems bar

Sent from my SM-G973F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
The ARB bar I had put on my MY17GC was one of the first ones they got in stock. Previous models were fitted slightly different I was told, changes to the new bar are not visible to the untrained eye.

I bet they haven't even updated their website and as with all this stuff, just ring the head office and they will let you know exactly what works.
Old 05-02-2020
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, I still reckon I'll go with the Offroad Animal Prerunner with Nudge bar, looks alright I reckon. I've seen a few Wk's around the last few days with bullbars and I'm just not keen.

One thing I have been wondering about when camping with this new found proximity key gizmo, is how far away she works to just open it up. As I usually sleep in the swag, next to the car, with the key floating around in the swag, I still like to have the car locked as I usually have a heap of camera gear in it, along with other usual camping stuff. I just can't believe they designed it to be so bloody weak, I guess it would be always on my mind that the sucker would rip out on bouncy tracks etc, especially if I chucked a jerry up there for long trips.

Another thing with the rack too, how flimsy is the roof? If I bolt my rack to some aluminium crossbars, would it hold up to having light shit up top, the odd chair, table, maybe the swag occasionally, and of course the awning full tme, or should I just wait and grab some decent rails. I inquired about the Rocky Offroad Rails, the bloody postage is more than the rails, haha.
Old 06-02-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I still reckon I'll go with the Offroad Animal Prerunner with Nudge bar, looks alright I reckon. I've seen a few Wk's around the last few days with bullbars and I'm just not keen.

One thing I have been wondering about when camping with this new found proximity key gizmo, is how far away she works to just open it up. As I usually sleep in the swag, next to the car, with the key floating around in the swag, I still like to have the car locked as I usually have a heap of camera gear in it, along with other usual camping stuff. I just can't believe they designed it to be so bloody weak, I guess it would be always on my mind that the sucker would rip out on bouncy tracks etc, especially if I chucked a jerry up there for long trips.

Another thing with the rack too, how flimsy is the roof? If I bolt my rack to some aluminium crossbars, would it hold up to having light shit up top, the odd chair, table, maybe the swag occasionally, and of course the awning full tme, or should I just wait and grab some decent rails. I inquired about the Rocky Offroad Rails, the bloody postage is more than the rails, haha.
I really like the look of the Offroad Animal Prerunner with Nudge bar. If the one I bought didn't have the full bar, that's what I was looking at as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed with that choice.

I'm not a fan of being able to unlock the doors with only the key fob in range either. I can see how it's a convenience for some but when mine's not in the garage, it's in the carport at the rear door. I'm always worried that leaving the keys on the kitchen bench it would be in range for someone at the back to open the doors. I can understand how you are worried when you are sleeping near it.

I have the Uneek rack and there are warnings stickers on the rear windows saying to only load it to 68kgs. It also says not to carry long loads like wood because the wind may lift it up and potentially damage it.

It's probably overkill to protect themselves but 68kgs doesn't seem a great deal of weight at all.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 06-02-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I really like the look of the Offroad Animal Prerunner with Nudge bar. If the one I bought didn't have the full bar, that's what I was looking at as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed with that choice.

I'm not a fan of being able to unlock the doors with only the key fob in range either. I can see how it's a convenience for some but when mine's not in the garage, it's in the carport at the rear door. I'm always worried that leaving the keys on the kitchen bench it would be in range for someone at the back to open the doors. I can understand how you are worried when you are sleeping near it.

I have the Uneek rack and there are warnings stickers on the rear windows saying to only load it to 68kgs. It also says not to carry long loads like wood because the wind may lift it up and potentially damage it.

It's probably overkill to protect themselves but 68kgs doesn't seem a great deal of weight at all.
For my proximity function to work I need to be within a metre or so from the door I want to open.
As for the roof rails, I’m taking delivery of the “chief products” roof rails only, in about two or three weeks and hoping to for my current roof platform to them. If not I will have to but some extra bits and pieces from Chief. They are bloody expensive though, but Look the goods!
Old 06-02-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

68kgs is what they tested the stability control systems etc to.

With weight on roof, check out this thread

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...=134131&page=2

There's two key issues, downweight (addressed by Uneek, Gobi and Chief) and lift upwards (addressed by Chief only as far as I know).

Be _very_ careful loading up the roof rack and going offroad, you can see in the thread the examples of cracked roofs. If you want to be safe, consider going for the chief products mounting system and bolting your uneek (or chief) tray to it.
Old 06-02-2020
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Cheers fellas, the proximity key is a funny thing, a few years back when we got the Mrs a new Mazda 3 SP25, I dropped her off somewhere and she got out with the key and off she went, I came home and shut her off, however couldn't start it again, haha.
I've never had problems camping, but have read stories of shit going missing from car's while people are asleep.
Next step,Off-road Animal front bar, with nudge and recovery hooks. Then to find some skid plates, a few a being wrecked nearby so hopefully I can get them cheap, I did the same with the WJ, 10 bucks or something.
Then tyres,these low profile SUV tyres will be useless off-road, a local mob has 265/50/20 aggressive all terrains for 170 each. Then I need to sort out rear storage,compressor and second battery.

It was a shock to put 30 bucks worth of diesel in last night to give me a range of 300km, that would barely get me 100k's in the WJ 😁

Sent from my SM-G973F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app