WK2 Roof Loading - Page 20 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRob View Post
Looks good, would of your rola rack done the same as the planks? but maybe a plank at the front and back is not a bad thing and then put the rola rack on top. I don't think the planks are wide enough for my application.
The problem with the Rola rack is it’s not designed to attach to rails but to racks. I did try to find a work-a-round to fit them directly but it just became really complicated. So, I ordered the two planks and it was a breeze. My Rola is only 1200 long that’s why they are placed at that distance. They are also placed towards the front so I can remove the Rola easily and attach my roof top tent, which needs a 540 overhang from the rear mounting point. This is so it won’t hit the tail gate when it opens.

I forgot to take a photo of the Rola attached but will when I get time. Next task is to lift the 55kg roof tent up and work out how to attach, might need to order the roof tent attachment kit but again, trying to save money now.... in case I lose my job.
Old 30-03-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,928 Times in 2,319 Posts

I like that set up very much even though I still couldn't put my Kayaks up there, that stupid door gets in the way...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 30-03-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I like that set up very much even though I still couldn't put my Kayaks up there, that stupid door gets in the way...........
Well you could put kayaks up there but just make sure they are the first thing you unload! Any vehicle with a lift up tailgate will cause the same issue for you...
Old 30-03-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,928 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
Well you could put kayaks up there but just make sure they are the first thing you unload! Any vehicle with a lift up tailgate will cause the same issue for you...
Yep, thats the problem, the WG I had it set up with a poofteenth of room, I have a couple of cunning plans like having them on there side might give clearance but getting the rack sorted out one day.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 31-03-2020
Established Member

Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah, the door is a problem when you're putting kayaks up there and you want to get into the back door as well. The Audi I had with an auto door you could stop part way up but it appears the GC one doesn't do this .

I still carry the kayaks just have to make sure they are last on and first off. I did use "J"racks for a while and they weren't a problem but you can't slide a kayak into a "J" rack from the back easily.

I might try putting the cradles closer together to raise the stern up a bit to see if I can get the clearance to open the back door. Looks like I'll have plenty of time on the weekend to fiddle with it.
Old 31-03-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRob View Post
Yeah, the door is a problem when you're putting kayaks up there and you want to get into the back door as well. The Audi I had with an auto door you could stop part way up but it appears the GC one doesn't do this .
I often stop my MY15 Grand Cherokee Limited rear door part way, the auto door opener/closer stops when you apply pressure to it/manually stop it with your hands.
Old 31-03-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
I often stop my MY15 Grand Cherokee Limited rear door part way, the auto door opener/closer stops when you apply pressure to it/manually stop it with your hands.
Yes but you have to be on the ball when you go to close it... as some Muppet decided that it should go up. 🤨
Post New Thread  Reply