Please help me choose a top winch. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-05-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Please help me choose a top winch.

Yes, there are a zillion threads on winches but what's hot right now.

I have decided to buy a Warn, or other higher end winch, and there is wayyy too much going on here for me to take enough time to read all the bullshit out there about which one to get. So can some pro's in here just give me the heads up of what the hardcore people are getting right now?

I have a pellet coming over from the States with a heap of IRO crap on it, may as well get a winch thrown onto it.

We have a WG. I'm just fixing the winch to a basic custom winch plate so it can be any winch.

We want an awesome winch. Preferably a fast one, about the 10-12,000 lb range. What's the one to get at the moment?

I am really really keen to read what as many of you think as possible before we order it.

Help spend my money one more time please

I'm not interested in the lesser priced ones, yes all winch brands can fail, but just like stacking the cards in our favour by buying a more expensive one just in case.

And hey, just think about this...you may be at the end of it one day so pick well

So which exact model will make me cream my pants when we use it?

*Edit. I forgot to mention. We just bought a big battery that wouldn't fit in the WG's battery holder, I had to extend it. It's got 780 cold cranking amps, I'mnot changing it, so the winch will have to be ok with that one battery.

The winch will be mainly used for weekend and after work fun around the Otways here or whatever.

Last edited by Hoobz; 29-05-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 29-05-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Anyone?

Maybe I'll just have to use the dart board method to pick.
Old 29-05-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Talking

Consider Runva winches from YankeeDave at
http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/brands/Runva.html

Lifetime Mechanical Warranty - This covers all Mechanical Components on the winch. (Except Steel Cable and Dyneema Winch Rope)
5 Year Electrical Warranty – this covers all Electrical Components on the winch.
(I like this point)
No Yearly Servicing Required
some winches require specific service intervals by qualified technicians to keep their warranty & warranty may only be valid in the country of purchase.
purchased here so no issues.
Old 29-05-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts

I used to run a Mal Leslie modified Warn M8274 high mount when I was doing winch challenges.

If you want fast, reliable, the best and moneys no object buy a Warn M8274 with the gigglepin twin motor conversion.

Cheers
Old 29-05-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Ok, tonight I started checking out and reading some reviews on the Warn Zeon 10s.

Sounds ok to me, but I'm totally lost to be honest.

Someone advised me in another thread to take my time working out what to get with something else I was asking about and not rush in...but I just want this over with, and out there wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Consider Runva winches from YankeeDave at
http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/brands/Runva.html

Lifetime Mechanical Warranty - This covers all Mechanical Components on the winch. (Except Steel Cable and Dyneema Winch Rope)
5 Year Electrical Warranty – this covers all Electrical Components on the winch.
(I like this point)
No Yearly Servicing Required
some winches require specific service intervals by qualified technicians to keep their warranty & warranty may only be valid in the country of purchase.
purchased here so no issues.
Thanks for the heads up Clarky, I just checked out the site and will go back in a sec and also find some reviews.

I do like the idea of supporting a vender in here too, is Yankee Dave a vendor? And the warranties look good. Price is well within on the whole range as well.

I already realised that buying from OS will void a warranty. But thinking I'm ok with risking that and just having to shell out for parts if it breaks something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
I used to run a Mal Leslie modified Warn M8274 high mount when I was doing winch challenges.

If you want fast, reliable, the best and moneys no object buy a Warn M8274 with the gigglepin twin motor conversion.

Cheers
And I was naive enough to think I had enough dough to buy the best

6 grand plus...is out of my income bracket, let alone budget for sure.

Interesting reading though.

But how would just the standard M8247 fair with our WG?

Far out, I really have no idea hey.
I need a mentor with all this 4x4 stuff.

Any other input from anyone? Help!
Old 29-05-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
Far out, I really have no idea hey.
I need a mentor with all this 4x4 stuff.
So do I and I'm following this thread with great interest
Old 29-05-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Your right there are a zillion winch threads. The general consensus is if you can afford a Warn then get one. I would suggest a 12T that way you will have all the pulling power you need, especially since you have a GC. I run an eBay 12T rope winch and I have used it 12 times thereabouts and it does me fine. However if I had a choice and plenty of cash and was looking to spend some decent bucks on a winch of course I would go Warn. As far as CCA goes if you have 650-700cca you should be ok with the one battery, especially with a Warn as they apparently will draw slightly less current for the same pulling power than a cheaper Chinese winch.

Regards A