WH - what size tyre & rim combo? - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
A set up for sale now, with tyres.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/17x7-5-Jeep-W...item20b8367f8a

Dave
Thanks for the link Dave. Just won the bid ($480) for these and picked them up 2 days ago. Excellent condition, rims are as good as new.

Almost bought black steel rims a month ago for $600 brand new from a shop but something told me to wait. Now, more than happy. Thanks again mate.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 27-04-2011
MudSplasher

Default Commander Rims with 275/65/R17's

OK, did a test on the above rims that I purchased.

They fit the wheel wells good and no rubbing whatsoever. Can't believe that 275/65's could fit stock without rubbing and without trimming the suspension bolt, but that's on the Commander rims with 7mm offset, just enough to clear the suspension bolt in the front wheel wells.

They drive good but as long as you're on level surface. I tried taking it off-road and on uneven surfaces, the front wheels have no problem due to the IFS which hardly has any flex.

The rears, on the other hand, will cause "extreme" rubbing to the front and front/upper portion of the guards, that is, the section adjacent to the rear door. On the fuel tank side, it will hit the overflow hose in the tyre well. Without a lift, they would rip out the guards and cause major damage if taken moderate and hard tracks.

So a 2" lift would eliminate this problem but a 2" suspension will be out of question for me right now. I'll purchase a set of 2" coil spacers from the US, $200 delivered!

Can't wait to have them permanently on my car with those larger tyres. Commander rims look so much better. I did around 150 km in them around town and had to take them off due to a 4WD trip.

Check out the photos with the Commander rims and 275/65/R17 Maxxis tyres.

By briteway at 2011-04-26

Old 27-04-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

mate, the photos and the tyres look great! Vehicle is same colour as mine.
Can I point out some experiences I have had after some 80,000 Km plus with a suspension upgrade.
You talk about wanting to drive it offroad - do half the job and you'll have to re-do it!
Spacers will not alter your vehicle's capacity to do offroad work BUT it will make your vehicle unstable due to the fact that you have lifted it.
A 50mm ARB medium duty lift kit will firm up your suspension, give you great control and stability on the highway, better cornering, no wallowing.
It will also give you great offroad capacity i.e. extra ground clearance, control over corrugated roads at 80 Km/h, safe driving conditions and ability to carry extra load (I notice you have a roof box)
When you go down that track get the "Sport" version fitted, CRDSTU has a post here somewhere on ARB lift kits.
In my case I tow a 2.5 Tonne (loaded) caravan and I found the medium duty too light and replaced the rears with the "heavy duty" springs and polyairbags.
A suspension lift will stop your vehicle sagging in the rear as it is in the photos, you'll feel like you have a brand new vehicle.
The difference in mine was amazing - I had my system fitted at 10,000 Km on the odometer at a time when I was driving down the western freeway every day.
Sorry if i've been blunt and to the point, I hope it helps you!
Old 27-04-2011
MudSplasher

Thanks for that info and suggestion mate, I understand your point. I had a 2" lift previously on my WG and it was awesome.

I really can't afford to spend $1500+ for a long time now but can sacrifice $200 just for clearance for now and when time comes for a proper lift, I can always put them up for sale .

I also need to build some bash plates, what is out there is either not really what I want or too expensive. I really need to protect those wires and hoses just below the radiator and get rid of that plastic s**t. Also the driveline components and the rear bumper. With the side steps, I might either shorten the mounting brackets and bring them up right to the door or wait for a good deal for rock sliders.

Anyway, I only intend to take it off-road on the weekends and nothing too hard, just light and occasionally moderate tracks.

Old 27-04-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Looking Good Briteway, your cheating though using A/T's, Muds with side biters come a bit closer than that, but still miss .

I actually bent one of my Commander Rims before easter at Scenic Rim, its a bugger everyone knows about them now, I cant find any more!

Re the bash plates, Speak to CRDSTU when hes back from the US, he does a set of Alloy ones powdercoated black for those exposed wires and PS tubes. Good price too.

Dave

Last edited by valpacer; 27-04-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 27-04-2011
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
Looking Good Briteway, your cheating though using A/T's, Muds with side biters come a bit closer than that, but still miss .
I actually didn't take a photo, but the tyre at one stage was pressing hard against the guard and it was only in a ditch.

Quote:
Re the bash plates, Speak to CRDSTU when hes back from the US, he does a set of Alloy ones powdercoated black for those exposed wires and PS tubes. Good price too.
Have you purchased from him? Do you know any prices?

I've checked out his website and it looks too good so I'm thinking it could also cost too good

Old 27-04-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

I have the fluted under plate from the ARB bar to the radiator support, and the plate from the Radiator support to the factory bash plate. Cant remember exact prices but shoot him an email (it was under 250 i think for both)

Dave