air intake - becoming a water intake - help!!!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-11-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default air intake - becoming a water intake - help!!!!

this is a big issue, that i have had problems with and dont want to again, as im fucking the car.
for the third time my air intake has sucked water, and for the second time a little has got into the engine cauing it to sound like a boat.
you dont have to tell me how bad this is for my all components of my engine.

how do all you guys not running snorkels get around this problem?
i have tried running the intake horn thingy in different positions, doesn't work.

facing the fan - the fan spits it all int7urned it upwards - top on the bonnet got wet and it ran straight in

how the hell do yoiu guys get around this?

at tuff truck i was looking at shaka zulu and he doesnt run no snorkel etc and in the mud run he was running it water 3 foot deep.
i havn't seen many jeep with snorkels

so once agian i ask how the heel to you get around this?
Old 17-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh i forgot to say i own a 97 TJ WRANGLER
Old 17-11-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

1. Avoid water/mud.....
2. I ditched that underbonnet insulation crap.
3. Stretch some of your GF's best stocking over the trumpet...
Old 18-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mmmm. $370 for a snorkel is VERY cheap insurance, and isn't hard to install yourself.
Old 18-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it's just the fan splashing water in the trumpet then have you checked the drain holes in the bottom of the airbox aren't blocked?

If you just crossing a creek have you tried using a tarp over the front to create a better bow wave?

If you like the deep stuff then yep go get a snorkel...

My TJ has been swamped once and that was driving technique - not mine! The water was only just touching the floor pan. :(
Old 18-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i can only guess its the fan splashing up water, not 100% sure. the water was only like 10cm deep but as i entered my car sunk about another 30cm into mud - who expected mud in the middle of sand junes at kurnell (well off to the side)
- ah and i was all excited to find a track i had never been on before, and its stuffed up, my whole arvo

i know i need a snorkel but i dont want to be installing it myself, incase any stuff ups occur, they aren't easy to hide.
Old 18-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was thinking and want some peoples advice.

for now until i get a snorkel i was thinking on connecting a 3 inch or so hose from the horn around to the back left hand side of the engine bay, just on the outer side of the power steering box.
due to a plate for a second battery being located there, no water gets to it and always seems to be free of splash and there is plenty of space for free air.

i know the air isn't exactly cold as there is no fan but it would only be for four-wheel driving. As for on-road i run a rampod style K&N air filter - the biggest of the lot and scrap the box completely.

in doing this i would cut the end of the horn down to increase the air flow to about a 3inch pipe which should in theeory increase performance as well as sort of solve my problem

what do people reckon??

i know a snorkel is the only way and its on the list as top priority, as i love playing in the mud its so fun.
Post New Thread  Reply