Thoughts on Poor Economy - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default Thoughts on Poor Economy

Its coming up to Christmas. Bet the fuel has changed: The world is ruled by petro chemical compamies.
On a serious not as the temp increases and the air thins you'll get less performance, she probably needs a tune just to picker her up in the warmer climate. Less milage will happen when ever in a warmer climate 50 K is not much really.
Bet she goes back up in the winter, colder thicker air better fuel air mix and you stay in more. People often forget all this stuff.
Just A New Angle On Things:

PS: "Doh" just read all the posts, could have just posted Dido Dido [img]graemlins/punchface.gif[/img]

[ 19 November 2002, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Jeepdownunder ]
Old 18-11-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is the reason snorkels save fuel and increase performance as it uses 'cold air induction' forcing COLD air into the engine, not just alowing it to suck it at its own rate.
due to it sucking from the outside temp it is much cooleer than that inthe engine bay - therefore increasing poerformance and efficiency at steady normal speeds.

cold air induction you will see is used on most good sports cars, where they lead a pipe down below the grill into the so caled mouth of the front of the car.

snorkels are good not just for water criossings and mud but for fuewl efficiency - i know i know i need one to stop sucking in water
Old 18-11-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

LOL shame that the extra tube length effectively negates much of those gains ;)
Old 19-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HI,

I agree on the fuel saving and cold air stuff from a snorkel however Wooders is right, you have to be sure your intake is not cut by the extra pipe restriction.

I have home made snorkel, fuel consumption ( diesel ) is about 1L/100km better with snorkel and ram-head on but goes 1L/100km worse than stock when I put on one of those Donaldson pre-cleaner bowls. ie 2L/100km difference just with change in air restriction.

I used pipe with 200% of Jeep intake cross-sectional area to make sure snorkel had little restricton down-side. Not sure what "formula" safari use.
Old 19-11-2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The good ole snorkel furphies again.

Hey DXJ, how are you determining you get 1l per 100k's better. You weighing the fuel and using gps for distances. 1 litre is two fifths of sweet fa. Thats getting stranded at a set of lights, getting caught up behind traffic.

You sure your instruments in the Jeep are that good.

Anyone putting a snorkel of their vehicle to get better fuel economy is kidding themselves.

What you WILL get outa fitting a snorkel is things lasting longer because things don't or shouldn't get as dirty, and certainly saves you in a dunking. You may get a small increase becuase of the cooler air, but thats likely to be offset by the inefficencies of the plumbing of the snorkel itself.

Anyone with actual facts, I'm more then happy to be provin incorrect.
Old 19-11-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dont really believe in the safari snorkels (to thin), as i believe they restrict air flow. the reason i dont have a snorkel is due to the fact i want a custom made one that is much thincker in diametre than that of the safari.
people are right the added length of the snorkel will reduce power but only slightly,nothing noticable.
in many cases snorkels aren't created to big as in many cars the air flow metre cannot take the extra flow of fuel. (e.g. problem with WRX's and K$N filters) although through my own experience and research tj jeep have a very well built air flow metre, which can withstand the extra flow. therefore i believe a snorkel should be designefd to maxamise airflow and in turn increase performnace. i think a custom snorkel and k&N filter in the box are a good combination for increasing fuel consumption at normal revs/speed and increasing performance at high revs.
Old 19-11-2002
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did the same test with different fuel Steve, and found that BP gave me slightly better performance and fuel economy. I wasn't dreamin' either...I got about 50Ks more out my tank. That was around town. Good quality fuel does make a difference to overall performance. The higher graded octane fuel didn't make that much difference, but the brand of fuel did. I was running on Woolworths Fuel because it was cheaper. Changed to BP and noticed the difference. Hope that helps.
Rgds Dan
Post New Thread  Reply