Coil spring compressors... using ZIP TIES!!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-09-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Default Coil spring compressors... using ZIP TIES!!!

Well I'm sure you guys are shaking yours heads with a laugh right now!!!!!
But yes!
Firstly they must be decent quality and a minimum of 8mm wide.
I Just got a bag off 100 from Bunnings.
I suggest on XJ's, just cut the damn passenger side spring with a grinder into 3 pieces.
Front drive shaft seems to limit clearance a bit compared to drivers side, which can sometimes just ripped out.
Ok so the ZIP TIES....
Yeah, use the standard coil spring compressors.
But clamp up about 60% of the length of the coil.
Much easier as it doesn't want to bulge etc.
Compress it standard way.
Now start zipping up.... starting at the bottom.
Use 2 side by side, about 12mm apart, and only looping 2 spirals at a time, then do apposite side.
On the next coil, put the next zip tie between the "12mm" air gap you left on lower run.
Keep the ratchet part of the zips towards the top edge off spring.
Repeat in the zig zag affect.
Pull all the tension out of them you can.
Don't cut the tails until you are confident it is compressed enough.
Flip the compressors around and repeat.
Even measure from coil the base seat up to top for a ball park compression needed.
When undoing the compressors, do it gently at first..... Don't shock load the zips.
This process is more tedious at first....
But a hell of a lot easier to fit into place without the spring compressors in the way!!!
Cut the zips off the top and bottom firstly, so they don't bet jammed in their, then simply cut from top to bottom.
Not for everyone maybe.....
But installation is woohoo much easier!
Old 30-09-2019
Established Member

Old 30-09-2019
Established Member

Old 30-09-2019
Established Member

Yes it looks pretty crazy hey, ha
Old 01-10-2019
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Well I thought I had seen it ALL! .... I once broke all the bolts on the rear sprocket on a 1973 Yamaha RT360 found a bit of rope and tied it to the spokes on the rear wheel to get home from way out in the Bush .............. So I sorta understand where you are coming from? But! is it worth Destroying MOTHER EARTH! with all that Plastic Waste Just so it was easy to get the Spring in ....... You should of used the Spring Compressor Skinned Your Knuckles Like a Real XJ Owner ... and Shed Blood for MOTHER EARTH! ... and all those years ago I should of Pushed my 1973 Yamaha RT360 the 40 k home and really should of Never bought a 2 Stroke in the First place! ...............
OH!
Oh!
Oh
oh
................................. More Beer! Please!
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 01-10-2019
Established Member

Nah, getting too old and wise to be doing it the hard way. Ha.
Ever fitted in a lifted coil Spring and had it seated in under 2 mins......
Without swearing, blood... frustration. Haha.
I have now!!!!!
I will put the zip ties in the recycle bin just 4u!
Baha
Old 02-10-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I had to do this when I upgraded all my shocks. I compressed them by placing all my body weight on them and held them there with zip ties.

It worked well except for the last one as the ties kept breaking. I was down to my last one and finally managed to get it in position.

I was bruised and sore for days, so next time, I'm paying someone else to fit them LOL

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply