Black fuel filters - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-08-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts
Default Black fuel filters

Just had 160k service, I supply oil and all the filters. The fuel filters were changed, they'd clocked up 20k.
Interesting chat with my mechanic (I rarely roll around under or in any more, as I have a good bloke I trust to do it for me) - he remarked on how black the filters were.
On our 2012 CRD and for this one the fuel filters have always been changed at 20k and always came out jet black - as did this lot
All the years of changing Patrol filters (we've had 7 of the beasts), and they never came out as black as these - I always was a bit intrigued each time the filters came out.
But - my mechanic remarked the filter arrangement looked remarkably similar to the Colorado setup - thinks they are the same filters - and they don't come out black.
This service came after our last 9k loop to Darwin and back with the van, so lots of hours towing at 100kph (mostly the speed I run where it suits).
I wonder if with the long runs and load whether the fuel temp from the tank into the filters is fairly warm from all the fuel being returned to the tank - and whether that has something to do with turning the filters black.
Never had a fuel issue, and for me no biggie....just that it has niow been pointed out that it is actually a Jeep thing.
Old 28-08-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

It is the same type of filter housing as the Colorado but the filters are smaller in the Jeeps... I honestly can't recall what colour they ended up though...

Black can be a bug or just some crappy fuel, I change all my filters every 10K km when I do a service, my fuel filters can be dark grey or very dark grey, I travel a lot and sometimes fuel choice is limited, its no biggy to change them , the darker colour could be from the fuel return, I doubt the temp would be part of it as its the norm for fuel to be hot in a diesel.... some even have a cooler on the return line...

Due to this Bosch CP-4 fuel pump drama I have been adding some Fuel Doctor to mine each fill to increase the lubrication, an added benefit is killing any bugs....

Doing a service in a couple of days so will see how they come out since Fuel Doctor has been mixed in for awhile.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 29-08-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 28-08-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 570 Times in 293 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is fuel doctor a biocide as well. Genuine Jeep filters are supposed to be under 5 microns, most jap stuff is 30 microns
Old 28-08-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Mine come out near black every 10k service with just city driving. Seems normal to me. Colour means it's doing its job IMO.

If you saw the colour of my whole house water filters, you would wonder how much shite you actually drink?
Old 28-08-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Best thing is to open up the element & examine the black stuff. If its like crumbly rubber, its bugs.
There is a better antimicrobial than fuel doctor. A Penrite product that comes in a black metal can. Normally they have it at supercrap.
Once you get rid of bugs out of your tank, best get only good fuel & dont leave it sitting in the tank for months at a time.
Bugs in diesel will make a mess of your fuel system. Very expensive repair.
Old 29-08-2023
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
Is fuel doctor a biocide as well. Genuine Jeep filters are supposed to be under 5 microns, most jap stuff is 30 microns
Yes it is, "Fuel Doctor is a blend of oxygenated solvents and emulsifiers, formulated to disperse and protect against the accumulation of aerobic fungal growths and sulphate-reducing bacteria which thrive in hydrocarbon fuels and their storage systems. " and is a stabaliser as well.

Originally industrial use for fuel storage and Made In QLD.....

I must admit the fuel filters on these VM's in the Colorado and this Jeep are darker so must be a VM thing ......... it doesn't bother me, if it was buggy it would have shown itself by now if you recall the state of that filter when I bought it, totally gross...... Inspection with a micro scope might show something but if the Mk 1 eyeball spots something I would be worried.

Old 29-08-2023
MonsterMoose

Micron rating of the RYCO R2745P is 5 micron, can't find anything about the WesfilCoopers WCF195 ......................... so I have asked them, see what they say.

Post New Thread  Reply