Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! - Page 22 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi AWG I have got a 98xj my steering box has just sheared bolts off last month,is there no recall on yours and who did you contact to get info to have repaired at no cost to owner,Your second photo shows to me a couple of rust holes near your sway bar connection to chassis.Photos look no work done look very carefully for Cracks along bottom and inside of chassis rail.
Old 11-04-2016
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I examined and took pics of my steering box/ frame area.

Gave Jeep Oz a call re my pre-update '96.

I explained the 2 recalls, as per outlined on this thread, and even gave them the separate PRA numbers

All they could tell me is that there was no recalls outstanding on my VIN..(repeatedly)

Can anyone more familiar with the matter advise whether these pics show (or not) whether any bracket/welding, or other mod has taken place ?

Looking at the first photo it appears that there is no plate welded in place under the bolts so no recall work carried out. Will find the info and post it here

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-04-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2016
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I examined and took pics of my steering box/ frame area.

Gave Jeep Oz a call re my pre-update '96.

I explained the 2 recalls, as per outlined on this thread, and even gave them the separate PRA numbers

All they could tell me is that there was no recalls outstanding on my VIN..(repeatedly)

Can anyone more familiar with the matter advise whether these pics show (or not) whether any bracket/welding, or other mod has taken place ?

Here is a link to the recall in 1997. First they inspected then repaired if cracked. https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i.../itemId/955305
Old 11-04-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Hi Gents.

I discussed the details outlined on this forum, both with the Dealer and Jeep Oz.

They were both very polite but played a completely dead bat, to the point it would not surprise me they have been told to play dumb on this issue.

Once I have identified FOR SURE no mods from factory have taken place, (by advise from the experts on this forum), I will email Jeep the pics, and proceed that way.

During my (cursory) inspection, I did not see any cracks, but pic 2 does concern me a little, although what appears like chunks about to tear out in the pic, I did inspect one of them, and dont think it was that..(but now I will look again!)

No bolt head or steer box wobble.

I can take more pics if needed
Old 12-04-2016
EL CAPITANO DESTRUCTO

Liked 1,911 Times in 804 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

have the bolts broken?
has the chassis cracked?

doesnt look like it, so they wont fix it.

simple stuff.
Old 12-04-2016
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Agree broken bolts is a different isdue to cracked chassis. Broken bolts may be caused by incorrectly tightened bolts.
I don't think you'd hsve much position to argue with thrm snoit it.
If its only the bolts that are your issue get a new set and move on.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

AWG, in the past I have verified with Jeep regarding this recall on two separate occasions. They ran my VIN and it came up with all the recalls on it's history. All had been done (airbag module, fuel pump thing etc, I think there have been 4 or so, I posted the link to the recalls some time ago actually). No outstanding recall on my VIN for the steering box issue. When I asked as to why, I was explained that not every batch during those years must have been affected. Since all the other recall jobs had been done as should be and ticked off, I tend to lean towards "believing" they might be right. Back then, I also had my mech look at the area of concern, he could not identify any cracks or things that would relate to it.

If on inspection (that would be the first step in recall) there seems to be no issue, however your VIN falls in the affected batch, (if I recall correctly) the recall still entailed reinforcing with welding work. If definitely cracks, then a supporting plate/brace had to be put in. So the recall would have 2 outcomes, both involving work on it, so should be 'visible' to some degree. However, if your VIN, like mine, does not pop up for this, then it will likely be impossible to get this done under recall excuse, but will be up to you whether you'd like to install another bracket/plate anyway...

Recalls don't 'expire'...Companies don't like recalls, for many reasons. And dealers dont like recall work either. However the foresight of being involved in lawsuits for malpractice and multimillion $ payouts if it turns out that Jeep/Dealer has been negligent in regards to this with bodily harm or death as a result, makes the $ involved for recalls futile.

In the end, if you feel unhappy/unsafe with this, go for that sturdy aftermarket bracket thing and drive around reassured that it wont break off.

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Post New Thread  Reply