Grand Cherokee Overland 2012 engine problems - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-05-2013
Jeep Test Driver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbow View Post
Having recently bought our 5th Jeep, the Overland, very comfortable and tows a very big van very well, has only done 13,000km and on the Stuart hwy after fueling up at Tennant Creek, the engine management light came on, seeing we had mobile phone service phoned our dealer in Melbourne to report it, nothing else was happening so we continued, next stop Katherine, another light comes on, exhaust control, more phone calls to Melbourne dealer who was not too interested, and said just take it to any Nissan dealer i said it is a ### Jeep. Jeep Australia said it needs to be flat trucked to Darwin, which meant we would have been waiting with caravan at Katherine, for however long it would take to fix. Not happy. Decided to struggle in 'limp home mode' to Darwin, where we booked the Jeep in to the only dealer here. A part had to be ordered from USA which took two weeks, now told that was one problem, so one light went off, but engine management light remain on. so another part on order luckily this part is in Melb. Has anyone else had these problems after such short kms?
What engine are you running?
Old 29-05-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely recommend Rockauto.com for any parts. Prices are dirt cheap & the service/shipping is amazing.

Quadratec.com isn't bad either & I have also used Jegs.com although their websites are crap compared to Rockauto
Old 29-05-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

For once this isn't a Jeep Thing, there are plenty of pissed off Toyota and Nissan owners having to wait for parts. I know one Pathfinder Owner that had to wait a number of weeks for a shock absorber replacement as there were none in Oz.
Old 30-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default parts in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotqld View Post
On my WH last year I needed a TCM.
No stock in Australia and was quoted $900.00 plus 2 weeks thru the dealer.
A aussie wrecker quoted me the same for a 2nd hand.

I went to a direct source in the USA order the part Thursday night I had it the following Tuesday cost $410.00
Even if Jeep Australia has stock we buy ex USA allways at least half the cost and the time from Melbourne to Queensland is not too much different from USA to Queensland.
Some are even bringing their tyres ex USA.
Thailand is also manufacturing a lot of parts for Jeep, they are 1/4 of dealer price and 2-3 days its here.

I also hear no windscreens in Australia.

Must have been awfull towing with a caravan in limp mode on a highway,
I was on a motorway here for couple kilometres not towing and it was dangerous that speed when everyone else is doing 100k
I brought auto enginuity software so I could clear codes, I am hoping it will take me out of limb mode till I get to a mechanics to undertake repairs if I ever get stuck in limb mode again.
I am with you on this parts are astronomical here in au and most of the time they don't even have them in stock
Just keep whistling the TV commercial music and and click your heels together 3 times saying its a Jeep thing that will get you past the frustration
or not!
Old 30-05-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yeh jeep dont keep rare parts locally, but things like alternators and compressors they do. Evaporators are from US. It is true you can source parts online and express shipment yourself - once out of warranty, that is what I will be doing. I wonder if the dealers will budge if you offer to pay the express shipment component for the warranty supplied parts? Or is it a common "weeks" turn around for refurbished warranty replacements??

A dealer told me a customer had to wait 3 months for cylinderhead replacement for a 3,000km 2012 GC. Bloody furious..

I personally waited 3 weeks for a evap and leather head rest, that was bad enough.
Old 30-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

I installed a TCM that I imported direct.
I cannot speak highly enough of the local Jeep dealer, It needed programming to talk with the computers in the Jeep.
They charged me $150.00 from memory their standard charge rates, quoted before I took it there and no surprises.
I did not get the impression at all they were annoyedl. Very pleasant to deal with.

But then a independent Transmission expert / workshop told me he didn't have time to deal with people that imported their own parts, he was very close to the Maroochy airport.

Last edited by hotqld; 30-05-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbow View Post
Having recently bought our 5th Jeep, the Overland, very comfortable and tows a very big van very well, has only done 13,000km and on the Stuart hwy after fueling up at Tennant Creek, the engine management light came on, seeing we had mobile phone service phoned our dealer in Melbourne to report it, nothing else was happening so we continued, next stop Katherine, another light comes on, exhaust control, more phone calls to Melbourne dealer who was not too interested, and said just take it to any Nissan dealer i said it is a ### Jeep. Jeep Australia said it needs to be flat trucked to Darwin, which meant we would have been waiting with caravan at Katherine, for however long it would take to fix. Not happy. Decided to struggle in 'limp home mode' to Darwin, where we booked the Jeep in to the only dealer here. A part had to be ordered from USA which took two weeks, now told that was one problem, so one light went off, but engine management light remain on. so another part on order luckily this part is in Melb. Has anyone else had these problems after such short kms?
Mate, I had a head replaced at 30 000Klms which took ten weeks!!! Then before 40 000Klms i had a steering rack end and a front shocky replaced. Now everytime i go away i worry about what will need replacing when i get back!! Mine is a 2011 WK Petrol Grand Cherokee.
Post New Thread  Reply