New purchase - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-06-2019
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts
Default New purchase

I am now an owner of WH overland, drove it from Melbourne to Sydney, a couple of things needs attention.

One of them is halfway up I recieved an engine light after that noticed that the mds wasn’t activating, tried the key trick to see what code but could not get it work, am I missing something or it doesn’t work on this model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 23-06-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
I am now an owner of WH overland, drove it from Melbourne to Sydney, a couple of things needs attention.

One of them is halfway up I recieved an engine light after that noticed that the mds wasn’t activating, tried the key trick to see what code but could not get it work, am I missing something or it doesn’t work on this model?

Congratulations - they are a great vehicle!

I was going to ask which engine, but then you mentioned the MDS, so it has to be a Hemi.

You can't do the key dance trick with these Jeeps - it doesn't work. You either need to buy yourself a cheap Bluetooth dongle from eBay and use the Torque application on your phone or buy a dedicated code reader such as Bluedriver ($100) or Autoenginuity (~$700-800).

However, if you are planning to lift it and run larger tyres (as I imagine you would), I would highly recommend getting the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator as not only does it correct your shift patterns for the larger tyres, but it also reads and clears all engine, transmission and other "hard" DTC's, such as air bag lights etc. It also has some other cool features like programming for diff gear ratio changes:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17614_5101.htm

Only issue is that it is VIN locked to your vehicle for programming, so if you want to use its features on another vehicle, you have to take it back to stock programming first.

Last edited by Hanna; 24-06-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Wrong word confused OP!!
Old 24-06-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase, I've also got a Hemi WH and would definitely recommend the Bluedriver reader, very handy, it'll read and clear all the codes related to the engine and transmission.
Old 24-06-2019
SwampDigger

Thanx, might have to buy it the key dance just won’t work for me.

Anyone here that lives in Sydney running 33” tyres or more?

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 24-06-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
Thanx, might have to buy it the key dance just won’t work for me.

Anyone here that lives in Sydney running 33” tyres or more?

Sorry, just realised my original post said "can do" the key dance trick instead of "can't do". It was a typo - now fixed.

Not many around here running 33" or larger on their WH's. Valpacer was running 35's before Megalodon was laid to rest. Briteway was running 33's on his WH Hemi, but he's gone quiet these days - too busy squeezing 40's on his GU Patrol!
Old 27-06-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Congrats!!

First thing to rule out with MDS is the engine oil.
It really does need a 20 weight (I've been using Mobil 1 0W-20.), some parts references and people will tell you a 30 weight is fine, but they're wrong

In my experience I've only seen MDS activate slower/less than it should (which some people might just think is normal.). Haven't had an error code for it, but can imagine it happening if the oil is way out of spec, as the ECM measures viscosity as part of the MDS circuit.

I recon it's a good idea to change all fluids while you're at-it. There have been some incorrect listings from manufacturers, and you don't wanna drive too much with ATF in the transfer-case, for example.
Old 27-06-2019
SwampDigger

I will be changing all the eventually, but start on the engine this weekend, I’ll get 0-20w engine oil.

What brand and what type (full synthetic), also is there a genuine oil filter?

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply