OzTent - Best Tent or Worst Tent? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-11-2008
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I use a Southern Cross (Bus Tent) Aust made and takes minutes to set up center pole
tip it out of the bag unfold & peg in each corner walk in with center pole all done
Have had it for 6 years and it is fantastic
Old 25-11-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What floor size is this Grant?
Would you have a pic of this tent?
Thank you.
Old 20-01-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

Travelled over Oz in all terrain and all weather conditions.

We used a cheeper than cheeps dome nylon tent from Kmart [Coleman I think....] that cost somewhere around $60 -accommodates 3 people very comfortably, and 4 very easily.

The Oztent looks neat, but we were able to get away with a cheep sheat that just held firm. We were using our own makeshift pegs as the ones that came with the tent were entirely unsuitable. It will stay dry and stand up to wind, as cheeep as it is....

The beauty of the Kmart jobby was that you can take the outside cover off during the day or nite depending on the temperatures, and it is ideal when you have fly and mossie swarming activity outside and you need a place to swallow your tucker without ingesting any extra spicy ingredients - if you know what I mean. THe entry is as small as you want it to be due to the zipper. Above all, it takes up next to no space for storage.

No matter what tent it is, if you can secure the ropes down, and pierce ground deep deep enough, it should generally stand up to weather conditions.

BTW, if you travel to places like the Gammon Ranges in Winter, no tent is going to stop potential frost bite - I tested that theory by sleeping in the car one nite as opposed to the tent to see if there was a difference. You need a really good sleeping bag that is well insulated, and woolen clothing, heavy parkers etc. Plus, maybe have a couple of fires burning next to you outside [with extreme care].

Last edited by eksjay; 01-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 21-01-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading in the forum about Black Wolf tents I did some research & just purchased a 3 man on ebay Australia - RRP $175 for $99 and there's a lot of similar bargains on their entire range to be had. No sense in paying retail when they'r brand new being sold by camping stores themselves on ebay
Old 24-01-2009
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We bought a DMH Mirage 6 tent and have had it for a few years now and its been great We picked it up for around $450 at a camping shop in Rockingham WA. Sleeps 6 and roughly 7m x 3m x 2m.

Here is a link to what it looks like. Very similar to the OZ type.

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct/DT0035

JTO
Old 04-03-2009
Queenslander

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was our OzTent setup from the weekend down on the mornington...

And a shot of it all loaded up on the TJ... hmmm need to do something about that saggy rear end... Airbags might do the trick.

Old 08-07-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a tent. There are a few mentions of "centre pole tents" in this discussion, and I'm wondering what brands/styles are recommended? I was thinking about an OzTent, but no longer sure this is the best option.