WK2 diesel - Annoying noises - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-04-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default WK2 diesel - Annoying noises

I have 2 noises / rattles that have developed and are driving me mad. Car now has just over 8000 k's. Wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

One seems to come from behind the glovebox. It sounds like something that is not supported or tied down properly. Like sheet metal that is flapping, or perhaps wiring or tubing. It happens mainly at low speeds, say under 70 km/hr, and seems to happen mainly over smaller bumps, not when hitting larger ones.

The other one comes either from behind the dash centre, or I think more likely from the engine itself. It develops after driving a fair distance, and doesn't seem to be there on first start up or inital driving. Its a constant tinny background noise. I first wondered if it was maybe the air con, possibly the gasses going through pipes or something but it happens without the A/C on.

Disclaimer; I am an anti-rattle freak. I can't stand them and admit to almost going postal at times if I can't find and fix them. But I am particularly annoyed at having these problems in a brand new car!

Anyone else having similar issues?
Old 16-04-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

I hope i do not experience those issues, I'm not good with rattles either... I have a squeak coming from behind the steering wheel every time i turn... its not an issue going straight but every now and then i find i have to turn...
Old 16-04-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2011 CRD. No rattles here.
I used to have a slight knock coming from the rear but this disappeared when the lift kit went on.
Old 16-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Default WK2 diesel - Annoying noises

For the glove box rattle, check the switch for glove box light, ours had this, a bit of double sided Velcro stuck on the glove box inner where the switch plunger makes contact, seems to put enough pressure on the switch, to SHUT the little F@&KER UP!!!!!
Old 16-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mine had a noise that I thought was behind the glovebox, but in fact turned out to be in the sunglass holder. And it was the metal frame sunglasses rattling around. I just put them in a soft sunglass case then stuck them in the holder.

Rattle gone.

Speaking of rattles, mine has just started with SLS shock absorber noise at 11900kms. Good timing with the TSB being released.
Old 16-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Savvas;1374332]Mine had a noise that I thought was behind the glovebox, but in fact turned out to be in the sunglass holder. And it was the metal frame sunglasses rattling around. I just put them in a soft sunglass case then stuck them in the holder.

Rattle gone.

Ha Ha had exactly the same, lucky I didn't go off at the dealer would have felt a prize twerp!!!
Old 16-04-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep56 View Post
I have 2 noises / rattles that have developed and are driving me mad. Car now has just over 8000 k's. Wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

One seems to come from behind the glovebox. It sounds like something that is not supported or tied down properly. Like sheet metal that is flapping, or perhaps wiring or tubing. It happens mainly at low speeds, say under 70 km/hr, and seems to happen mainly over smaller bumps, not when hitting larger ones.

The other one comes either from behind the dash centre, or I think more likely from the engine itself. It develops after driving a fair distance, and doesn't seem to be there on first start up or inital driving. Its a constant tinny background noise. I first wondered if it was maybe the air con, possibly the gasses going through pipes or something but it happens without the A/C on.

Disclaimer; I am an anti-rattle freak. I can't stand them and admit to almost going postal at times if I can't find and fix them. But I am particularly annoyed at having these problems in a brand new car!

Anyone else having similar issues?
Yep, 2012 CRD with 25k and I have the same 2 rattles/flapping sounds.

Interested to have a look at the glove box one in the morning, but the one centre dash turned out to be the hard plastic windscreen vent that is sunk into the dash (runs full length left to right and has the red IR sensor attached that governs your AC when in AUTO mode). Mine was flapping around more so on the passenger side (try drumming your fingers on it when stationary and see if you get the same rattle/vibration). Anyway, gently lifting the vent passenger side and inserting a bit of Bluetac fixed this one. Good luck.
Post New Thread  Reply