XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 86 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-10-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Oh No Alex! .. Gremlin's .. and Breaking Down in the Street that usually ends up in a Tow Home for me
I am sure you will sort it out But it is Frustrating especially with No Codes?
Do you think the Coil might be preparing to burn out?
You have all good sensors dizzy etc plugs and leads wouldn't kill it just run bad? Fuel Pressure Ok?
Which PCM are you running?
It could be anything?
I know you will Fix it! ...
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 14-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Does sound coilish.
Old 14-10-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I did a temporary connection to the project scanner console. Then I ran the car and checked the diagnostics. Everything looked good. O2 sensor correctly cycling. Car running in closed loop. All sensors in range and working. Fuel trim perfect. I then ran a series of tests with engine off, ignition on. All injectors cycling. All relays clicking on and off. Coil test passed, every test passed.

I wiggled every wire on the car as it was idling and no change. In fact, this afternoon, Jeep has been running perfectly. Still no codes.

I am leaning towards coil or cap as the intermittent problem. Won’t know if it was the ASD Or fuel pump relay until if and when she conks out again.

Got me stumped. The gremlin knocks the car out instantly. It won’t restart straight away, but 5 minutes later will start and run great again.

If, after I’ve tried everything else, I will swap out the PCM.

Cheers,
Old 14-10-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

I hope I haven't jinxed you Alex. My xj did that way back maybe 13yrs or so back. Only did it dead cold as it changed into 2nd. Negative battery cable was the culprit. Same thing in a Kenworth with electronic cummins engine. And a Mack with no electronics, just a lovely air start V8, but engine didn't stop just the lights. Makes you sit up in the seat when you're feeling for the edge of the bitumen.
Old 14-10-2020
AJOR Gold

Thanks Olden,
I did check the negative battery post this arvo, as I have an isolator on it. Seemed OK, but I’ll keep an eye on it.
I did swap in another coil today. Cleaned up all the earth points that come off the coil mounting plate.

I’ve done 3 trips this arvo, and no stumbles so far. That’s with the relays swapped around and the coil swapped out.

Not sure if I’ve found the problem...only time will tell.

Cheers,
Old 15-10-2020
AJOR Gold

Big day of wiring today on the James Bond scanner.
I went to Jaycar and got 3 meters of cat5 cable and hard wired the cable strands directly to the datalink connector in the engine bay. I then ran the cable through the firewall and up into the centre console. Then spliced the MT2500 connector onto the cat5 cable and an illuminating toggle switch. I can now just plug it in and flip a switch to get it all running.

I drove to the shops today and parked up next to another XJ. The owner came back just I was leaving, so we got chatting. He has had his 2000 model from new, and its only done 160,000.
It seemed tiny parked up next to mine.

I’ve done half a dozen trips now with no sign of a engine hiccup.
Still not certain I’ve cured it, but I may of been either the ASD relay or coil, as I swapped them both out.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16-10-2020
AJOR Gold

Been driving the Jeep on heaps of trips the last few days and not a single hiccup. I am convinced now that the break down problem was either the coil or ASD relay.

However, I had a comedy of problems today. Went to the MX track today and noticed my cruise control wasn’t working.
When I got home I went through all the fuses under the dash and everything was fine.

Then I went to Bunnings and I had no gauges working. Got home scratching my head. Everything was shitting itself.

Rechecked the dash fuses and the cluster fuse had fallen out. Put it back and had my gauges again. My cruise control was still out, and now my scanner was out. I checked the engine bay fuses and one of the 15A fuses was popped. Upon checking, it’s the one that controls ignition and cruise functions. I replaced it and it popped again. I checked the scanner cat5 wiring and it had got hot and degenerated.
I believe the flip switch light is drawing to much power for the tiny cat5 wire, and is overloading it.

At least the Gremlin seems to of gone...
More rewiring when I get a chance...

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 17-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply