Common problems - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
I also changed from a Disco Td5 to a WK2 and the towing experience alone was an eye opener. There is no more stress when towing the 1.5 ton van.

I have had some overheating issues which took Jeep 7 months to rectify and the vehicle is again running as it should.

Little things like the poor and plasticy finish are quickly forgotten when driving the car - it's brilliant.

I did keep my Td5 so that I could still tackle the serious stuff when I am so inclined.

Cheers,

DM
I had the TDi for 14 years, loved it, did the Canning, Simpson, Great central etc.
But as for tackling the serious stuff the XH,WH with QD2 and a lift, would kill it.
I was amazed at what the Commander could do, that the Disco couldn't, the traction ability on the QD2 was nothing short of amazing.
I haven't really tried out the WK2 Overland yet, the missus still loves the new car smell, too much.
Old 29-12-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hills46 View Post
No, but the outside sure is. The ill fitting, loose, plastic rear quarter panels in particular!
the outside is plastic ?
Old 29-12-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
the outside is plastic ?
I think he means the rear bumper... it’s a shocker!
Old 29-12-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Some very early impressions as a first time Jeep owner:

I've just bought a one owner, low km, '13 WK2 Laredo diesel 5 speed with full Jeep SH. Probably somewhat humble compared with other machinery in here, but I expect the "bones" of the car should be just as good.

Seems well screwed together, feels luxurious and very well equipped for the "base" model. Door shuts are reassuringly solid and the rear camera will come in handy for hitching up. I had a Territory previously, so to me this car is a cut above. Drives beautifully, quiet, comfortable and responsive. Haven't towed yet (in fact it's never towed), just setting it up to pull my 2.0t van. The flimsy rear bumper is a bit surprising, not much chassis behind it to anchor towing plug points etc.

I've also heard all the stories, yet there are thousands of these things on the road - can they all be bad? Equally, I've spoken to some actual owners who tell me the opposite - they love their Jeeps and have had few if any issues. So far it feels good, so I'm staying optimistic despite taking out a 3 year extended warranty!

Previous Territory not really up to towing confidently IMO, and in petrol form ridiculously thirsty. Until recently our other car was a '14 VW Golf TSI, great car, and the Jeep has a similar quality feel to it overall. Earlier still, a Series 2 Disco Td5, a bit agricultural but a wonderful car, no problems ever, strong as an ox.

Would have gone for LR again but too expensive now, which is how I came to look at Jeep. I also have an '80's Jaguar (hobby car) which along with the LR and Jeep is on many "keep away from" lists that I find mainly non-owners and the press like to peddle myths about. I have a habit of going against the grain! Probably can't argue against the reliability of the Japanese offerings but I find them soulless and over priced.

I look after my cars well, so hopefully this one will look after me. Time will tell, but I'm looking forward to good times with the Jeep.
Old 29-12-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Just adding to my last post....
My previous vehicles prior to the WK2 Grand, in order, were a WH Grand, Discovery 4, Discovery 3, Landcruiser 100 & Landcruiser 80. All diesels apart from the 80 series.

I have to say that my current WK2 is the most comfortable, powerful and best value for money out of them all.

Paid $93K for the Disco 4 some years ago compared to $64K for the WK2, and the WK2 is better optioned. Had to get rid of the Disco 4 because of an annoying surging problem that nobody could fix.

Definitely get another Grand when the time comes.

Cheers, Craig
Old 31-12-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Common problems with the WK2:

- Air conditioning condensors tend to have a few failures, been some threads on it here, theres an after market option if it happens, mine hasn't gone yet.

- There were some big DPF regen failures happening for a bit, there was a software fix and since then haven't heard much about it. The Prado/hilux 2.8 has a big issue with dpf regens at the moment, so it happens to them all.

- Alternator failures, there's a recall on the petrols for failing alternators, been a few diesels with similar problems. I'm expecting Jeep to recall the diesels eventually, so it should get fixed.

- The 5 speed has been known have the odd torque converter failure, the 8 speed seems pretty solid.
Old 31-12-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
I think he means the rear bumper... it’s a shocker!
what else would you expect a rear bumper to be made from though ?
Post New Thread  Reply