Mazda to a Wrangler - Two Questions :) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mazda to a Wrangler - Two Questions :)

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon these forums (via google) and I'm hoping you lovely folk can give a guy some advice

I have two question I hope you can assist me with.

QUESTION 1:

I currently own a Mazda 3 Hatchback (certainly no jeep lol). Anyway, my better half is pregnant and we're expecting our third child early next year. The Mazda doesn't fit three "kids seats" so we need to upgrade to a larger vehicle that can fit three kids seats in the back. I've ALWAYS wanted a wrangler and started looking into the 4-door Wrangler Unlimited. My wife wasn't too keen as she doesn't believe Wranglers are family-friendly cars. In fact, I kinda agreed with her but did a bit of research anyway. After a lot of googling, I found a lot of forums/articles from Jeep owners who say the 4-door Wrangler is an EXCELLENT family car. Plenty of room in the back, easy to clean, the kids will love it as it's 'fun' etc etc. I started showing these articles to my wife and now she's starting to come around.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Are 4 door Wrangles suitable for families (3 kids + 2 adults)? Is there any reason why they won't be? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciate

QUESTION 2:

Now, my second dilemma is regarding a kayak. Yep, a kayak lol. I do a lot of kayak fishing and have a 4.2metre kayak that I need to be able to transport. On the Mazda 3 it's a sinch. I have roof racks and the kayak just sits on these face down. Couple of tie-downs across the hull and then I also tie down the bow and stern to the car, and it's done. Because the Mazda 3 is only a smallish car (and quite low), it's very easy to put on the roof. Anyway, how would one transport a kayak with a Wrangler? Is it even possible? I must admit I haven't see any Wranglers with roof racks. If the Wrangler can't do this, then I won't be purchasing it. Again, really appreciate your comments and advice.

Thanks!!!!!!

Agent009
Old 04-09-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Welcome to the Jeep madness Agent009

In answer to question 2, the guy I bought my ARB bull bar off was into hang gliding.

He had a rack made up to drop into two tubes on the top surface of the bull bar, then another rack made up that slid into two tubes under the rear of the vehicle. This gave him a support at either end of the vehicle.

As for question 1, the rear is a 3 seater in the 4 door, but not overly wide so not sure how you would go with 2 kids + baby capsule/seat. Someone who has tried will chime in shortly though I am sure.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 04-09-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

If you are concerned about lifting your kayak, I have no problems getting 2 K2's on top of my XJ. Have had a pair of 3 man Canadians on it. You just put 1 end up on the edge of the rack, secure it & then lift the other end up, have done it many times by myself.
I store them suspended from the roof in the shed so its easy to put them on & off at home.
What is your location? I have canoed most creeks/rivers in Northern Vic.

The idea of a pipe bracket at either end of the jeep is a good one, a bit like what some tradesmen have on their utes, have seen some hilux's with them.
If you can fit the kayak on top of a Mazda 3, you will have no problems with a jeep!!
Old 04-09-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks gents!

Since posting this, I've read a lot of forums (mainly US based) with ideas regarding Roof Racks. I like the looks of such products like GOBI and MBRP, however I'm not sure if they deliver to Australia...and more importanly, they're $1000+ which is out of my price range lol.

A lot of people have recommended Thule...so I might start researching some of their products.

Some people have even said you can put the kayak directly on the Freedom roof...but I don't want to risk that. My kayak only weighs 22kg...so I'm sure some Thule roof racks + front/rear tie downs will be adequate.

Thanks for the info regarding the height.

Any more thoughts on the family aspect?
Old 04-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

You could also look at Yakima HD racks that will go on the roof via the Q track system, I work for them and we are currently using my 2007 JK model as the project vehicle to test fit the Yakima Q track and get a kit out into the market place, this kit will also support the Whispbar system too (Google it) you will be very impressed. I plan to carry 2 x 9'6 longboards on mine once we have the racks fitted.222
Old 04-09-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds interesting Hotdog. Be sure to let me know how things progress!
Old 05-09-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Have you taken one for a drive and got it home. We did that and put the cars seats in the jeep but we only had 2 kids plus it was a 2 door TJ. Still fitted easily, just no room for a pram, but i am sure in a 4 door there will be a crap load more room.

Is it beer o"clock yet!!!!

2005 TJ
2003 KJ CRD
Little 03 Honda Jazz
Post New Thread  Reply