ujoints and suspension - help please - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation ujoints and suspension - help please

Hi guys, I need help.
I've read as much as I could through various threads, but there was nowhere to be found...
I need some advice on how to identify the Ujoints - what type are they, or size...
Second, I want to change all my bushings and joints...does any one did this at home, or is something that needs to be done by a mechanic...and what I what to find out actually is if they are coming in a kit or something?

I ride a Wrangler 2004 MY05, 4.0L engine with 6 speed manual - Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front...

The problem that I have revealed itself this weekend, when I took the Jeep to a drive through the Adelaide Hills...and some part on the freeway. With 3 100kg people in it, at 110Km/h, there was an annoying vibration in everything - from steering wheel, gear shifter, pedals, chairs, central console...everything was shaking. It wasn't like an out-of-balance wheels shake, or too many steering wheel play...there was something more like up-down vibration...and everytime I was going over a small dip or hill, and the car was hip-hopping on suspention, the vibration increased as well as the sound...
So that's why my first thoughts are going towards bad ujoints and suspension...but I am really new in this Jeep thing, and don't know too much of how they should behave on freeway...

Really need help with this guys...It's my daily ride, and I have to burn around 50km a day to work and back, so I can't afford to have it breaking on me or keep it in the workshop for days...

I would really appreciate even some links to part shops from where I could buy some bushings kits, ujoints...whatever else is needed.

Thank y'all! Cheers!
Old 11-06-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a mild case of the 'death wobbles'.
Old 11-06-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, lets start with if anything is done to the wrangler like:
Does it have any suspension lift and how much
Or is it still standard
Is it ok with only the driver
Any tyre changes
Have you recently done anything to it
All info you can
Cheers.
Old 12-06-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOIIIIIIIOJ View Post
Hi there, lets start with if anything is done to the wrangler like:
Does it have any suspension lift and how much
Or is it still standard
Is it ok with only the driver
Any tyre changes
Have you recently done anything to it
All info you can
Cheers.
It's pretty much standard. No lift - I think...(how do I see if I have a lift or not?), but the previous owner had installed some big ass 20" chrome wheels and tires - street ones.

I've replaced the front brake rotors and pads, replaced rear drums and shoes, and greased suspension joints and ujoints. I'm planning to do a servicing on diffs (a little bit of inside cleaning and oil change) and inspect further then if the bearings are ok. The rear diff is leaking oil at the pinion seal (I've already bought the replacement), but since I'm thinking that the bearing might be toasted as well, I need to check first...
besides all of those, I still have the CEL on after a couple trips to the mechanic, with error codes P0153 and P0688...I've checked the wiring, measured the resistance of the O2 sensor and relay, I've checked the manifold for leaks, fuel tank cap...all good still errors...1500$ only in diagnostics - money thrown away, and small stuff in 2 weeks since I bought her...I guess I should be happy that i'm not married, otherwise I would have been sleeping in the shed...
Old 12-06-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice looking Jeep, LOL@ you not been married holy cow at $1500!!!
Well after I posted the first reply I noticed you already asked the same question else and the answer is correct could be UNI joint.

However you'll need to make sure that no uni joints are worn or bolts are loose for starters. Then make sure you don't have a loose pinion or something silly in that line because it all sounds like in that area.

Like myself I would always like to test drive to get what type of vibe your getting then go looking.

By the looks of the photo it has bigger tyres I think then standard? And looks higher then normal so I'm going to say it has a 2" lift, BUT in manuals some get vibes and some don't and more then 2" lift shit loads of vibes.

But you say it's worse when there's people in car? so I'm going to say look at your drive train area maybe more so the front as it all still turns due to no locking front hubs. You could have a partly seized front uni on the front of front shaft and check the rear of the front shaft also.

Best way really is to remove the drive shaft and feel both uni joints although the rear of front is a Cardinal joint bit like a double uni.

Also remove the rear shaft and check it too as the only best way is to remove.

Please safety first and chock your wheel and handbrake on.
Old 14-06-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yup, they are not stock ones - the tires/wheels. the tires are 275/45/20 and wheels 20"...from my calculations, that would make like a 30" o/a height of wheel...I was reading somewhere that if you want to go bigger than 28", the jeep needs a lift...and I have no idea if mine is lifted or not. there is any way I can check? shouldn't be somewhere something like spacers that I can spot and measure?
Anyway, this weekend I'm gonna spend some time underneath, and check joints and shits...
Cheers!
Old 06-07-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's the latest on this, Find out anything?
Post New Thread  Reply