WK2 - Rear knocking noise - Page 43 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-07-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Wanderer r u going to give the dealer a shout out....

Hutch-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk..CRD feel the power.
Hello Hutch..."A shout out"?? Do you mean who is the dealer??? No problem PM me and I'll tell you..
Old 06-08-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Gday all
Had the rear shock mounts changed under warranty a week ago, & to be honest, i cant tell the difference. The new ones are just as noisy as the originals.
Does anyone know what the new ones look like & is there any markings or numbers so i can verify that mine were actually changed.
I had a look when i got it home, & cant see any markings (without removing them).
Theres no point in taking it back to the dealer cause they'll only blame the noise on the aftermarket shocks, though i know it was there prior to the shock change.
If tgere are no part numbers on the mounts, i might have to refit the original shocks to prove to the dealer where the noise is coming from.
Very disappointed.
Silverfox
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox1111 View Post
Gday all
Had the rear shock mounts changed under warranty a week ago, & to be honest, i cant tell the difference. The new ones are just as noisy as the originals.
Does anyone know what the new ones look like & is there any markings or numbers so i can verify that mine were actually changed.
I had a look when i got it home, & cant see any markings (without removing them).
Theres no point in taking it back to the dealer cause they'll only blame the noise on the aftermarket shocks, though i know it was there prior to the shock change.
If tgere are no part numbers on the mounts, i might have to refit the original shocks to prove to the dealer where the noise is coming from.
Very disappointed.
Silverfox
When I had mine changed the dealer said he couldn't see any difference but there is...The new mounts have more clearance as I see it...Appears the shocky stud when it moves in the rubber bushes, touches the metal body above..When I had my lift installed the shocks knocked so the 4x4 offroad mechanic here pulled the mounts off and found the problem. Make sure the stone guard is there over the shocks..Without it the stud protrudes through that extra bit and certainly will knock..If OK then maybe fit an extra mounting bush over the shaft between the mount and the stone guard should do it..Wouldn't have to be very thick to give a little extra clearance between the stud and the body...Just a thought.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-08-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: corrected the mount clearance
Old 07-08-2015
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Mounts are the same the difference is in the upper rubbers they are about 4mm taller in overall height .

OIIIIIIIO
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeepster View Post
Mounts are the same the difference is in the upper rubbers they are about 4mm taller in overall height .

OIIIIIIIO
You may very well be right so I won't disagree..The end result would be the about the same...Anyway mine doesn't knock now and hasn't for the past 30,000km..The way it was explained to me by the dealer is that a complete new mount was installed but I wasn't about to dismantle them to check..It was when my lift kit was installed, I found out about the shocky stud knocking against the body inside the mounting bracket..Could see where it had been touching....Worth a check & could be the reason why some are still reporting the knock...Just a thought and also if aftermarket shocks are installed then make sure the OE stone guard is reinstalled..Aftermarket shocks don't usually come with them (well the ARB ones don't) so the originals have to be reused and if it isn't then the shocky stud will certainly be up closer to the body panel and will knock.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-08-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Thanks wanderer & ozjeepster
Im away for the next week so the following weekend I'll pull the shocks out & see if the upper shock mount pin is too long for the new mounts.
Silverfox
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox1111 View Post
Thanks wanderer & ozjeepster
Im away for the next week so the following weekend I'll pull the shocks out & see if the upper shock mount pin is too long for the new mounts.
Silverfox
No worries Silverfox...Hope this sorts it out...Once you have aftermarket shock you can forget about FCA help..ARB with their lift kit send you back to Jeep if there is a shocky knock so you're doomed to that endless loop to nowhere.
Post New Thread  Reply