wj crd, high idle, leaky injector and oil fitlers.. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default wj crd, high idle, leaky injector and oil fitlers..

Hey Guys, picked up a WJ Grand Cherokee CRD recently, in need of a bit of TLC.

So far I've replaced both mirrors, a wing, soon to do a door, and refreshed the interior, it's almost there!

BUT.. I've got a problem with Idling that I can't sus out - The car idles high at over 1000 rpm, but when I put my foot on the brake (car is in park) the idles go to a more normal 500rpm.. Then in gear, stopped etc it seems to behave normally. It's just when I put it in park or neutral and take my foot off the brake that they shoot up?

Next problem is that The no 1 injector seems to be leaking? I guessed it may be a seal, that's worn and is leaking. It seems to just be air and maybe a mist of diesel that's leaking, and it's melted the foam on the engine cover (Seems a bit of a design flaw?!) so the injector is covered. Found a similar thread on here where esomeone seems to have had the exact same problem this doesn't seem to be related to the high idle though

Last question is a silly one but.. Where on earth is the oil filter on the 2.7? There's appears to be one in a strange location (top of the engine, near what I guess is the oil pump) is that right? Just didn't seem right as it's very high up, but then I am new to both diesels and 4x4s!

Cheers guys.
Old 30-08-2015
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

I'm not sure on the high idle but there are number of things you need to do.

1. Read the "Everything 2.7" sticky thread on the first page of the thread list.
2. Search "black death" here and google. That is what you have going on with number 1 injector and the longer you leave it the harder it will be to resolve. It's probably time to do all injector seals. It's a common problem on this engine in any vehicle - ML270, Sprinter etc.
3. Rip that black engine cover off and hang it on the shed wall till you go and sell the vehicle. You need to keep yours eyes out for black death.
4. Read about the key trick for reading fault codes. Turn ignition to on/off/on/off/on/off/on without starting and in reasonably quick succession and any fault codes will flash up in the odometer.

What mileage are you at with this vehicle??

The oil filter is a paper cartridge style like on many motor bikes, not the traditional steel bodied bypass filter you are used to seeing on the side of the block. It is under that black plastic cover on the left hand side just to the front of the manifold.
Old 30-08-2015
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Hi idle could be caused by a few things but from what you have said it sounds like a brake curcuit vacuum issue perhaps , injector seals are a common failure with these engines but is an easy fix with injector removal and a good clean down including the injector fork retention bolt hole make sure you remove all the sticky carbon tar that gets down it and replace the seal and the bolt with new ones and tighten bolt to 9NM + 90 degrees, i would sugest replacment of all 5 injector seals and bolts as the others will follow injector one and start to leak , 4 & 5 can be a bitch but with a well placed wholesaw over no5 it can also be done easily & yes thats the oil filter its a cartridge type .

OIIIIIIIO
Old 30-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
I'm not sure on the high idle but there are number of things you need to do.

1. Read the "Everything 2.7" sticky thread on the first page of the thread list.
2. Search "black death" here and google. That is what you have going on with number 1 injector and the longer you leave it the harder it will be to resolve. It's probably time to do all injector seals. It's a common problem on this engine in any vehicle - ML270, Sprinter etc.
3. Rip that black engine cover off and hang it on the shed wall till you go and sell the vehicle. You need to keep yours eyes out for black death.
4. Read about the key trick for reading fault codes. Turn ignition to on/off/on/off/on/off/on without starting and in reasonably quick succession and any fault codes will flash up in the odometer.

What mileage are you at with this vehicle??

The oil filter is a paper cartridge style like on many motor bikes, not the traditional steel bodied bypass filter you are used to seeing on the side of the block. It is under that black plastic cover on the left hand side just to the front of the manifold.
Cheers for the detailed and quick reply, will check that thread out

The black death makes sense, seems to be exactly what's going on with the leaky injector.

I read it might be possible to drill a hole in the bulkhead to allow access to the 4/5 injectors without dropping the engine? Might explore that route before trying to lift and drop the engine, has anyone tried it?

Will try the code trick - thanks for that.

I'm on 190k kms on it (well - I bought it cheaply already on that mileage) Dropped the engine and gearbox oil out today, so just getting all the little things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeepster View Post
Hi idle could be caused by a few things but from what you have said it sounds like a brake curcuit vacuum issue perhaps , injector seals are a common failure with these engines but is an easy fix with injector removal and a good clean down including the injector fork retention bolt hole make sure you remove all the sticky carbon tar that gets down it and replace the seal and the bolt with new ones and tighten bolt to 9NM + 90 degrees, i would sugest replacment of all 5 injector seals and bolts as the others will follow injector one and start to leak , 4 & 5 can be a bitch but with a well placed wholesaw over no5 it can also be done easily & yes thats the oil filter its a cartridge type .

OIIIIIIIO
Great thanks will try and cut the holes for 4/5 and see if I can get them, then will swap out the seals and bolts. Will try the error code trick above then will look at the brake circuit vaccum - I don't suppose there's a layout drawing or schematic anywhere to help fault finding that you're aware of? Have been searching the web for a couple of days and finding lots on the v8's less so on the diesels

Cheers for the responses guys
Old 30-08-2015
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

The thread I referred to has a link to the online workshop manual. Has pretty much everything in it but takes some learning as it's not like your good old fashioned Haynes etc.
Old 30-08-2015
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Poor idle on the 2.7 CRD could be related to a dirty/oil MAF or air in the fuel system. If these components are good it is most likely to be a bad fuel pressure regulator, not a difficult or overly expensive fix.

Check the cheap stuff first as it may be something simple.

Jason
Old 02-09-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,937 Times in 2,323 Posts

Well the fellas have about covered it all I think, read the Everything 2.7 thread, you should find links to all your questions there.................they have all been covered on AJOR over the years, the manual is a big job to read but once you work it out it becomes easier, just takes awhile.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply