XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 29 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-06-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would prefer my tranny cooler on the cold side but usually tranny fluid temps are much higher than water temps so either side will remove heat and difference is probably marginal. If temps become a problem for me I will add a external cooler in line so hits radiator first then cooler. Is the smaller radiator on the front of the XJs for PS? Sorry I am new to jeeps.

99 XJ Jeep Cherokee Sport.
Old 25-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenis View Post
I would prefer my tranny cooler on the cold side but usually tranny fluid temps are much higher than water temps so either side will remove heat and difference is probably marginal. If temps become a problem for me I will add a external cooler in line so hits radiator first then cooler. Is the smaller radiator on the front of the XJs for PS? Sorry I am new to jeeps.
No that is the trans cooler....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 25-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
heh heh ... nahhhh ... thats the massive, factory fitted tranny cooler....

Which is the whole reason for my drawing post of the LHD / RHD variation.

LHD XJs in-tank oil "cooler" is fitted to the cold side of the radiator ... and then for heavy duty applications ... that little cooler you think is a power steering cooler ... is offered as an optional, extra tranny cooler.

RHD OZ XJs got that little cooler as a std fitting ... probably to make up for the in-tank oil "cooler" dangling in the hot side of RHD XJs.

Probably a good idea to replace it with something better - if you are considering towing and want to extend the life of an aging gearbox.
Old 25-06-2010
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Not sure if you temperature statement is correct. My tranny runs normally at 70 to 80 Deg and my thermostat setting for engine cooling it set at 95 deg, so Tranny temp is cooler. Am I not seeing something correctly???

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 25-06-2010
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkas View Post
Not sure if you temperature statement is correct. My tranny runs normally at 70 to 80 Deg and my thermostat setting for engine cooling it set at 95 deg, so Tranny temp is cooler. Am I not seeing something correctly???
Wheres your temp sensor located ???

One mounted on the gearbox output line to the radiator - can show some scary high temps ....

Presuming your temps are sump temps or return line temps ... thats not bad compared to the factory spec 50'-80' op range.

..... and much better than my old temps of 80' - 120'

Last edited by carvesdodo; 25-06-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 29-06-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok looking at fitting the b&m 70268 to the mechanical fan side bypassing the radiator. Do I need any extra fittings or hoses etc to do this install? This is my only vehicle so I don't want to get half way through the job and realise I need something else from in town to finish it off. Also what's the best way to block the radiator once it has been bypassed? Cheers
Old 29-06-2010
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS! View Post
Ok looking at fitting the b&m 70268 to the mechanical fan side bypassing the radiator. Do I need any extra fittings or hoses etc to do this install? This is my only vehicle so I don't want to get half way through the job and realise I need something else from in town to finish it off. Also what's the best way to block the radiator once it has been bypassed? Cheers
Buy yourself a few spare meters of tranny line hose and some clamps,
Cut the factory pipes shorter and clamp the hoses on.

Just make sure you flush the pipes before refitting ... to get rid of any filings ... a pipe cutter causes less mess than a hacksaw.

Seems to be common on stock height XJs for the control arm to squash the factory hardlines alongside the sump ... so you might want consider rerouting hoses to fix that issue while you have stuff apart.

The heat exchanger fittings really dont need blocking ... This is all there is dangling in the header tank. ... theres no anti-freeze crossover unless the heat exchanger is split and leaking.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 06-07-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply