Lost keys, replacement tips and alternatives - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-03-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a 2010 WH Grand Cherokee I paid $26.99 for a Chinese key fob on ebay Jan 2015. Identical quality to the original. I phoned several dealers and was told takes 15 minutes at a cost of $75. That's why they call them technicians not mechanics anymore. My GP doesn't charge that much !!! It worked perfectly well.

I would have a good look on ebay for a WK equivalent
Old 19-03-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 59 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashthefrog View Post
Thanks 67HR, champion effort in confirming the frequencies and part numbers.

I've contacted a few locksmiths, at least one was car specific, and they advised that Jeep was one of the few ones that they would need to go to the dealer as well, so costing would be no different. Software is just catching up for the MY14> models. Locksmiths need to carry many machines to cover all makes, Not all Locksmiths may have the gear to do these yet

Does anyone have a car locksmith contact in Sydney which would be able to program a key, if I order one in? Try AMG Automotive Locksmiths 0412261392, they are mobile and near Nth Ryde I think

Is it possible that the frequency and part number details that you have provided are not known to locksmiths at the moment. YES

Thanks for all the replies, keep it coming. There has to be a better way!
Just remember the mobile guys are just that, the outlay to keep on top of their game is staggering. I don't know Sydney/Eastern State prices but you'll be looking at $150-200 I'd think for someone to come to you and cut/program your self purchased key/s. Most are "tradies" earning a fair wage for themselves & families. Most often they can get you going when all keys are lost for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the dealer, and they come to you.

The best tips I can give is to
A. Obtain/retaining your key code number (metal tag)
B. Ask the dealer for your 4 digit immobilizer pin, especially for the WK2's as the lockies tools can't pull the pin on the 14> Fiat system (dealer only).
Old 19-03-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ

I had to buy a keys and transponder fob for my 1997 ZG Grand Cherokee Limited this week, was genuine Daimler-Chrysler key and transponder fob (cost was $177.70 including overnight air from Perth to Broome WA)......I'm sure the last time I bought a fob only about 5 years ago it cost about $360.00, also from a Jeep dealer - programming was free.

Only problem is the dealer can't seem to program the PCM using the DRBIII scantool to accept new fob's signal.......any ideas????

See my post above and in EMERGENCY HELP WANTED section
Old 14-06-2017
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 155 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67HR View Post
Just remember the mobile guys are just that, the outlay to keep on top of their game is staggering. I don't know Sydney/Eastern State prices but you'll be looking at $150-200 I'd think for someone to come to you and cut/program your self purchased key/s. Most are "tradies" earning a fair wage for themselves & families. Most often they can get you going when all keys are lost for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the dealer, and they come to you.

The best tips I can give is to
A. Obtain/retaining your key code number (metal tag)
B. Ask the dealer for your 4 digit immobilizer pin, especially for the WK2's as the lockies tools can't pull the pin on the 14> Fiat system (dealer only).
Wow, you have a lot of knowledge in this field. Maybe you can help me. Was doing a search before posting a new thread, so this came up. One of my keys is playing up on the WH but the other one's working fine. Is there someone you know in Sydney that knows their stuff that could sort it out for me?

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Sponsored Posts
Old 14-06-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
the loss of a key is a bad thing , how do you know ?
could be in the next several days or so when some person has watched your every move decides to take it.
I have not delt with the newer models , but as it goes for others every key has a small chip inside it (moulded in) bmw ones are a small tube made of glass holding the chip . most cases one could go to a key maker and get the key you have replicated. this involves giving the key and your vin number , (if jeep have released it out yet) BUT jeep might be nasty in this and not release the code for the chip .
only way to find out is ask a key maker (lock smith)
I bought two spare blank keys for my 2004 WG and programmed them in using my two existing original keys. I converted one to a flick out key fob with remote.

Cost $18US for the 2 blank programmable keys, $20 to cut them at a locksmith and $10 for a flick out remote key fob.

I did that cause I was concerned i might lose one of the original keys and pay $hundreds to have to reprogram in a new one.

funny thing is, until I received the 2 blank programmable skim keys ( i hacked one of them for the chip) I hot glued the original key to the back of the keyfob and got around that way. worked a treat lol.

Last edited by Zappa916; 14-06-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 19-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The price you announced in the start post is huge I ordered new set of keys programmed for my car at Replacecarkey , these guys are available 24/7 and helped me out within few days for the price few times lower than you mentioned.
Sponsored Posts
Post New Thread  Reply