What sort of Moderation is wanted on AJOR? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Every person posting on here has agreed to live within a set of guidelines which are pretty fair. The mods tend not to get in the way of a conversation until it gets out of hand. If you go way outside the lines tough luck. If someone finds your post offensive they can report the post. In this way the forum tends to be self regulating.

The templates for the for sale section are there with the intent that we don't get everyone posting half information and getting everybody asking for the rest of the details. Even then having a template seems too hard for some people to understand. If a mod bounces someone in public for not using a template WGAF, the mod is simply stating the rules. By being public rather than a PM it reinforces the point to others as well. Tapatalk is a known problem in the for sale threads and if people bothered to read the intro posts every so often they would have been aware of it.

I've got no problems with the moderation on here at all. It works just fine.
Old 05-07-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
The new templates are not much use any way in my opinion.

Since they can not be completed (or even viewed for that matter) from Tapatalk, which a lot of people seem to use based on many signatures, I dont think they are a good idea at all anyway.

I have actually given up looking at for sale threads from my phone since I cant see any information anyway. Since that is prob 90% of my AJOR viewing experience that makes them pretty useless to me.

Oh and yes, I am all for private reminders as opposed to public shoot down. Had to much of that from Eddie....

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
Its interesting that the issue with tapatalk has been ignored. It was raised in the third post on this thread.
This alone should be sufficient reason for a mod not to belittle some one who doesnt use the template.
That was the reason for my original post in the sale thread that has now been deleted by a mod.

The sad part is that those who are in a position to do something are hell bent on justifying their actions.
I can recall a few years ago on a US automotive forum that was run by a parts supplier, a mod who was very technically competent but had the mod skills of the gestapo, had caused the forum to loose many members, refused to even accept that his mod style was a problem. Eventually after many members let the owner know they would not be purchasing from them, he was removed as a mod. He was that bitter that his behaviour eventually lead to him being banned from the site. I would never want to see that sort of thing happen on AJOR. There are members on AJOR with the people skills that allow them to see when this is starting to happen.

Jimmyb appears to do a good job of trying to keep AJOR a happy harmonious place. Just now & again things go a little wrong.

Probably the member who originally posted his jeep for sale, is now wondering WTF ! I hope he has been able to sell it.
& yes I did get the usual PM telling me that I was out of order with my posts in the sales thread & to basically mind my own business. The follow up by me after my first post in the sale thread was because members contacted me both via PM & off the forum about it. Not the first time this has occurred.
Old 05-07-2014
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

my 2c.
Very happy with the mods on this site and the culture that has been cultivated.
Deeply unimpressed with the new for sale section, I may have my browser set up wrong, but I can only get 9 posts on the first page. I assume it is because of the pics.

I much preferred the older setup where we could get many more adds per page.
As a xj driver, pics for grand Cherokee wk -anything- add no value to me at all
A brief bit of text stating what was for sale and if interested you could click through for more info and pics.
Im thinking like 20 adds on the front page would be good, enough so you can check in twice a week and see every thing on the front page.

As for the template I think it is a good idea. can not comment on tapatalk.
was a bit surprised when i was told we could not link through to a ebay listing........don't know what the logic behind that is about...........
was politely told that was not policy, made no sense to me, but realised that this website is a personal sand pit/business , not a democracy.
so i could accept it or leave.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 05-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

The same kind of moderation that we've had on here for the last 10 years!

Maybe I've been on too many forums and BBs for too long, but when the rules are posted, read them first - then consider you post before typing and clicking 'Submit Reply'.

If you want to change the rules, then question the rules, not the people policing them.
If you want to ignore the rules, goto facebook.com
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Old 06-07-2014
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Exclamation Well its been a while for me but I thought I'd chime in on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
At the fear of being banned for suggesting to a mod that its probably better to initially send a member a diplomatic PM when they havent used a template, I thought it maybe a good idea to let others say what they think.
I hope Jimmyb will give us all immunity for providing candid opinion on this on this thread.
I would have thought that diplomacy is far more important than gestapo behavior by a mod.
What does everyone think?
No fear of being banned, this topic rears its head every few years and has done so since the start.
I have no idea what the grievance is/was and to be honest don't really care. So some of the below may not be directly related.

The general forum rules in place and those that apply to the 'For Sale' forum template usage were generally initiated over time via member feedback and some that were necessary by Admin (Jimmyb, KJ69, myself) to minimise personal attacks, unnecessary behaviors etc...

There has recently been a number of updates, changes and trials on AJOR, if something does not work the way the members want it to it generally does not last long, unless we have no choice; i.e. vBulliten upgrades. So if the current for sale template format is not the way forward please start a thread/poll on the matter. That said the template is generally mimicking the previous format but only this time it requires the user to populate the required fields. These fields were those requested by users around about 7 or 8 yrs ago (from memory) and have worked well ever since, excluding the times when users simply do not follow the rules and populate as required....no different on hundreds of other forums. Having the for sale template in its current format may not suit all but a change can be as good as a holiday, a key benefit is that the info required will generally be entered and this will cut down on mods having to delete/close threads...which occurs more regularly than most would be aware of. Be a perfect world if people would actually read the rules they sign up to prior to clicking "Agree".

As for the "gestapo behavior" comment; I will assume (and we all know what they are), that you feel that you or someone you know has been served an injustice? if I am incorrect please enlighten me on the details via PM.
Rules are in place for a reason, if you have an issue or feel that the behavior is not appropriate please go to the bottom of every page and use the 'contact Admin' function.

An old saying from when I wore a green uniform may also apply(?); you joined it, it did not join you.

Take care, have fun

Last edited by Fat Chili; 06-07-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroGantz View Post
I am a mod on another forum and I'll give you the big tip layback..... fk democracy, the absolute worst thing I ever did was suggest that all members should have input because you never get agreement and you will get a lot more ideas thrown at you than you can handle, and of course then people get snotty when their idea is not put in place. The way I see it is JB and the mods have been doing a fine job running this place and it should stay that way. As far as people not using templates it has always been clearly stated to use the template and to not post offers in threads so stick with how JB does it and just delete the post.
Man speaks the truth.
I've been a mod on a few forums and the thing that kills it its when some of the punters that enjoy a free service think they have more rights and say than those the actually own & run the board.
It's not a democracy, it IS a dictatorship. and Here it works.
To anyone that doesn't like it, you have the demoratic right to leave
Old 06-07-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chili View Post
No fear of being banned, this topic rears its head every few years and has done so since the start.
I have no idea what the grievance is/was and to be honest don't really care. So some of the below may not be directly related.

The general forum rules in place and those that apply to the 'For Sale' forum template usage were generally initiated over time via member feedback and some that were necessary by Admin (Jimmyb, KJ69, myself) to minimise personal attacks, unnecessary behaviors etc...

There has recently been a number of updates, changes and trials on AJOR, if something does not work the way the members want it to it generally does not last long, unless we have no choice; i.e. vBulliten upgrades. So if the current for sale template format is not the way forward please start a thread/poll on the matter. That said the template is generally mimicking the previous format but only this time it requires the user to populate the required fields. These fields were those requested by users around about 7 or 8 yrs ago (from memory) and have worked well ever since, excluding the times when users simply do not follow the rules and populate as required....no different on hundreds of other forums. Having the for sale template in its current format may not suit all but a change can be as good as a holiday, a key benefit is that the info required will generally be entered and this will cut down on mods having to delete/close threads...which occurs more regularly than most would be aware of. Be a perfect world if people would actually read the rules they sign up to prior to clicking "Agree".

As for the "gestapo behavior" comment; I will assume (and we all know what they are), that you feel that you or someone you know has been served an injustice? if I am incorrect please enlighten me on the details via PM.
Rules are in place for a reason, if you have an issue or feel that the behavior is not appropriate please go to the bottom of every page and use the 'contact Admin' function.

An old saying from when I wore a green uniform may also apply(?); you joined it, it did not join you.

Take care, have fun
FC,
I doubt that anyone can complain about your approach to moderating. The past 3 1/2 years is all that I can comment on as a member.
I guess you have, like many, been alive long enough to develop a thing called wisdom.
I will PM you with details of what several members & me were not happy about concerning one of your fellow mods.

Given recent happenings at the ADF, maybe best not say too much about what culture has been around for a while ! (I joke!)

Last edited by layback40; 06-07-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Post New Thread  Closed Thread